export then import to deal with delimiters

nowanda

Board Regular
Hello All!

I need a place where I can get some information on exporting to text files and importing from text files programmatically into a pre-existing Access database. The issue: I have a field with semi-colon delimiters which I'd like to do some calculations and date formatting- so I would prefer to store this information separately.

COMMON_DATA
-4.5;12/25/2002;34;2.6;
3.6;01/06/2003;;;
18;02/09/2003;23;-5.8;
1.7;03/04/2003;28;5.7;

I tried using :
Left$([COMMON_DATA], Instr([COMMON_DATA], ";")-1)
and varying Mid's as well but the data entered will always be 4 semi-colons in total and I always seem to get extra semi-colons in my query results. I'd love to do this as a query - but so far the easiest way has been to physically export the field to a text file then import it using a semi-colon delimiter... Can this be done in a series of commands to pseudo-automate it - or have I gone off the deep end?

A little cybernetic push would be greatly appreciated!

Nowanda:)

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Maybe I don't understand your question, but you can create Macros in Access to export your queries as a text file, and you can also create queries to import text files into tables. Is this what you were looking for?

The macros would automate what you are manually doing.

Upvote 0
Hello!

It would be a macro that I'd be looking to create.. or even - if possible - maybe avoid the text file altogether - and if possible use a query to separate out the ";"'s and then insert the new fields into a new table?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This might not be what you're looking for, but have you tried to import the text file as a table and set up the import specifications and then save them. I do this every month at work and would be glad to walk you through it if you need more help/information.

-gator

Upvote 0
Thanks gator!

This works pretty well for me.. I had also fiddled around with my original queries and might have hit the jackpot as well!

Curious -> can you call the saved parameters through a VBA module?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddweller151

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back