excell to access

ndendrinos

Hello to all,
First time using access.
Have one row in excel linked to access
Row in excel has the following titles
Invoice No / Company / Order No / Date / Amount .... etc ....
This row is a recap of several cell in my Excel sheet titled : "Invoice"
My question is this ... can one with this setup generate reports in Access (i.e "Company list" / "Purchases by company by date range" / Searches by product etc ...)
Thank you

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Have one row in excel linked to access
Is the Excel spreadsheet linked to Access?

If so it will be regarded as a table and you will be able to use it as such to create queries/forms/reports etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie... You've helped recently in the creation of the Excell sheet that now works great, and yes the Excel sheet is linked to the new Access database.
Are you saying that with just an as simple setup (just a link from Excel to Access based on just one row) I could generate reports and queries ?
Or do I ned to set up the Access database with the help of a "wizard" found in Access ?
Thank you

Upvote 0
How have you linked the Excel worksheet?

Try right clicking in the Table tab of the database.

You have two options Import... or Link...

Whichever you choose you should see a file dialog, find your Excel sheet using it and double click. This will then start up the appropriate Wizard, so just follow the steps.

Import will actually create a table in Access based on the spreadsheet (and the choices you make when importing) , while linking sets up a link to the spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
I've created the link to Excel from within Access., File/Get external data/Chose the Excel file and now each time a new row in excel is populated the info is automatically updated to the Access database... I do nothing in Access but open the Access Database and double click on the Icon titled Invoice ... the icon has the Excel logo... could it be that I just have a linked table and nothing more or am I going in the right direction and can generate reports and queries with this very simple setup?
Thanks Norie

Upvote 0
You have a linked table.

Goto the Queries tab, click New, select Design View you should now have the Show Table form and the linked table should be listed there.

So you can now create queries with it

Similarly for Reports, select New and the table should be listed in the dropdown.

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie, This setup opens up a lot of new possibilities.
Have a great day & many thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zack_ken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back