Excel Worksheet Tab Name Vs. VBA Worksheet Name

nryan

Board Regular
Hello,

I have changed the "Tab Name" of my worksheet to "Instructions" but in the VB editor the worksheet is referred to as "Sheet3 (Instructions)". I cannot find out how to change the name in the VB editor from "Sheet3" to "Instructions". I'm surprised how frustrated this has made me. Must I change the name by a line or two of code in VBA or can I do it by mouse clicks?

Note: I didn't create the workbook, but I'm adding another worksheet to it. In the VB editor there are two sheets whose VBA names have been changed, e.g. "Cover Page (Cover Page)" and "Master (Master)" instead of say "Sheet1 (Cover Page)" and "Sheet2 (Master)". And there are no lines of code in the modules that do this, so the original author must have figured out how to change the name by clicking/right-clicking some things.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Welcome to the Board!

If you look at the Properties window you can change the name. If it's not visible you can hit F4 to display it.

Upvote 0
Thank you Smitty!

I have another problem. I was able to successfully do this for Sheet3 (Instructions), but I tried the same for Sheet4 (ProbSpec) and I received an error: Invalid Property Type (380). I tried to name that sheet "ProbeSpec". I tried different names like "ABC", "123", and even "Sheet" but still got the same error. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I can't think of why that would cause an error. I'm able to rename a sheet "ProbSpec" and "ProbeSpec" with no problem.

Upvote 0
I copied all sheets to a new workbook and I was able to rename it just fine. Who knows why it didn't work in the original workbook.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back