Excel Version History Improvements Thanks To Show Changes - 2479

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Apr 1, 2022.
Microsoft Excel Tutorial: Version History has improved.

A cool new feature from the MVP Summit: The Version History pane in Excel Online gives you an impressive visual view of who made what changes to your Excel workbook.

I previously mentioned how Show Changes debuted 9 months ago. Somewhere in the last nine months, the obscure Version History feature (found under File, Info) has gotten much better.

Save your document to OneDrive or SharePoint Online. Work as normal in Desktop Excel.

If something gets screwed up, you can go to Excel Online. Use File, Info, Version History and preview every change made from the new Version History panel.

These new improvements will make this an amazing feature.

Buy Bill Jelen's latest Excel book: MrExcel 2022 Boosting Excel

#excel
#microsoft
#exceltutorial
#exceltips
#microsoftexcel
#exceltricks
#microsoft365
#walkthrough

Table of Contents
(0:00) Recap of MVP Summit
(0:35) Version History in Excel has improved
(0:50) Save your workbook in Excel Online or Sharepoint Online
(1:23) Version History in Desktop is not the good one
(2:00) Version History in Excel Online highlights all changes
(2:58) Show Changes log powers Version History
(3:50) New Excel book
(4:11) Wrap-up
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Yeah hey, check out this awesome Excel MVP jersey from Excel on Fire.
That must mean I'm just home from the Excel MVP Summit.
3 days of sessions with the Excel team - over 20 hours of content.
Things that of course I can't tell you about. But they'll be coming out, you know, in the next months or years and I'll show them here on this channel.
But as you're watching the various presentations by the project managers every once in awhile you see something you say, like “Oh my God, what, when did that come out”, right?
Something that I missed and today's episode is one of those.
In Excel, we've had a feature called Version History.
Somewhere in the last year this feature has grown up.
Let's take a look.
OK, now just like Show Changes ,for Version History to work, your file has to be stored in either OneDrive or SharePoint online.
It has to be somewhere in the cloud and then this kicks in.
You don't have to be using Excel Online, you just have to be saved to the cloud and working in Desktop Excel or Mac or wherever you usually work.
Here's a workbook that I've been using for version history testing for quite some time.
If I come up here to File, and then Info (what a great feature to really hide back here on theIinfo panel), not many people go to the Iinfo panel.
And go to Version History.
Over here on the right hand side you see the old experience.
It has a whole bunch of versions.
It tells me who it was modified, the date and the time, but I can't tell anything about these.
Like if this got screwed up, what am I going to do - just randomly start opening old versions?
So here's a case where they're bringing a new feature to Excel, but they're testing it first in Excel Online.
So I'm going to switch over to a Chrome browser.
In the browser, I go up to the URL, type Excel.New.
And it brings me to this Excel Online.
And then File, Open.
If I go to File, and then Info, and then Version History.
Check out this awesome new Version History panel over here on the right hand side.
So it tells me to select a version from the version history pane.
And if I choose one, it shows me that this was edited by both me and Mary Ellen, and the cells are color coded to show me who made changes where.
Changes to that whole block were made and someone else made change this to that block.
Different color outlines - so the pink there is me and the blue, (boy, it really kind of looks green to me), blue was done by Mary Ellen.
So this is beautiful that they have all of these versions and they're showing you exactly what's changed in each one.
And up here I can look at each individual change.
So there's change one, change two.
So I typed September, dragged it across October, November, December.
And then created that data there.
And one of the things I learned this week is it's not that they're saving this workbook multiple times.
This is all coming from the Show Changes log right?
So they're saving the current version and then a list of everything that's happened, right?
And when we click Save a Copy, we're in essence asking them to take the current version and undo all of those changes back to this point in time.
So right now it's April 2022 and I'm able to see all the way back to June of 2021.
This is fairly impressive.
Everything that shows up in Excel Online, we're hoping eventually it'll come to desktop Excel.
But this is great, you can be working in Desktop Excel, it's keeping versions.
It's keeping track of the changes.
And then if you need to, you can come out to Excel Online in order to find an old version, restore it or save a copy.
Now hey, check out my new book, MrExcel 2022.
This book is actually coming out today.
The book was done about a week and a half ago, but I decided to wait until the MVP Summit, just to see if there was something that I had missed.
Like this awesome Version History.
I added that in this morning, generated the PDF, and it will be for sale later this afternoon.
Now look, I want to thank the Excel team for taking three days out of their life to show us all these great features.
I want to thank Oz du Soleil for this awesome jersey that he had created.
And I want to thank you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.
If you like these videos, please, down below, Like, Subscribe, and Ring the bell.
Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the comments below.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kramb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back