Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub GatherFiguresXXX()

Dim wksSource As Worksheet, i As Long, lastRow As Long, rng As Range

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Copy After:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(1)

Set wksSource = ActiveSheet: wksSource.Name = "Data"

' SORT DATA BY CUSTOMER, PRODUCT, THEN SUPPLIER

lastRow = wksSource.Range("A" & wksSource.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

With wksSource.Sort

.Header = xlYes

.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("A1"), Order:=xlAscending

.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("B1"), Order:=xlAscending

.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("C1"), Order:=xlAscending

.SetRange Range("A1:BD" & lastRow)

.Apply

End With

'Make Subtotals:

wksSource.Range("A1:BD" & lastRow).Subtotal GroupBy:=3, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5), _

Replace:=True, Pagebreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

lastRow = wksSource.Range("B" & wksSource.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row 'last row on B:B for the sheet with subtotals

On Error Resume Next 'for the case of no subtotals...

Set rng = wksSource.Range("B2:B" & lastRow + 1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Offset(, 1)

On Error GoTo 0

If Not rng Is Nothing Then

rng.ClearContents 'clear subtotals on column C:C

'emphasize Subtotals:

rng.Offset(, 1).Interior.Color = vbYellow

rng.Offset(, 2).Interior.Color = vbYellow

wksSource.Rows(lastRow + 2).Clear 'clear Grand Total row

End If

wksSource.Activate
End Sub

Also, macro is in Module 2 in the below, Uncompleted Workbook

Uncompleted Workbook: Easyupload.io - Upload Files and Share Them Easily

Completed Workbook: Easyupload.io - Upload Files and Share Them Easily

Hello everyone!

I have:
A report which takes hourssss to complete and comes in weekly.

I do not have:
Any macro/VBA skills of any kind. I am admittedly a noob. I have been watching videos on VBA at work but they can only get you so far; especially because I cannot ask anyone on the video questions. Which is why I am here, hoping someone can help. Please do!

Preface:
My laptop for work is locked down tight. I cannot get on these sites and I definitely cannot send any sort of documents to a personal email address. With that said, I spent a couple of hours on my personal laptop and put together a spreadsheet to imitate where I am stuck at in my macro for work (I hope this is OK, I have no other choice). I cannot take credit for all of the coding as I did have some help from someone but their interest in helping me quickly dissipated unfortunately. If someone does help and the code works, I will adapt the code into my macro on my work computer.

The easiest way to explain what the report does (and how I put this spreadsheet together):
A Product for X Units and Y Price is Loaned and then later Returned for the same X Units and Y Price (the Units between Loan and Return(s) should net to 0). This is called a “Match.” However, the Returned Y price could be >, =, or < the Loaned Purchase Price. A Match is normally one Loan for X units and one Return for the same X units. The Total (Sum of Loan Price and Return Price) is needed for each Match. The company has millions of these which come through monthly and that specific figure is needed to search to the decimal with.

**Things to consider:**
(1.) There should be a Match for each Loan

(2.) The “Matches” are not always one Loan and one Return. Sometimes, there are two Returns, three Returns, etc. Units which amount to that Loan. **Example (in workbook):** for Customer 10009, Product ORANGES, and Supplies SPEARHEAD INC., there is a Loan of 125,000 Units, a Return of 45,000 Units, and another Return of 80,000 Units for a Total Return of 125,000 Units.

**PLEASE NOTE: Once or twice a year, the Unit value in Column E will not amount to 0. This is OK. The macro can move on to the next**

(3.) The Customer and Supplier will Loan and Return the same product multiple times. Although it is the same Customer and Supplier, this will create multiple Matches. **For example (in workbook)** Customer 10004 and Supplier SPEARHEAD INC. Loaned Product MATERIALS three times and Returned it three times. This will create 3 separate Matches and the macro would need to match the Returns with their corresponding Loans to “Match-up” before inserting the row to enter the formulas for each Match.

**What the Macro does:**
First, create a second sheet and rename it “data” to test macro. This way, I do not need to keep opening and closing the workbook to test the macro. Second, it sorts by: Customer (Column A), then by Product (Column B), and then Supplier(Column C). Third, it locates the Matches of Loan and Return by Product for each Customer and Supplier, inserts a row, and enters the Sum Formula in (i, “D”) & (i, “E”).

**What I need the Macro to do:**
As stated above, I am a noob and I have no idea where to start to do the following. ☹

(1.) The macro would need to use some sort of logic to recognize the Loan Unit amount for the Product (between the Customer and Supplier) and be able to reorganize the entire row for the Return Units of that Product to match it’s Loan. If at all possible, have the sheet formatted to always have the Loan on top and then its Return(s) underneath on the following rows.

(2.) If the Customer and Supplier Loans and Returns the same product multiple times, instead of treating it as one Match, be able to recognize the multiple Matches by number of Loans. **For example (in workbook)** Customer 10004 and Supplier SPEARHEAD INC. Loaned Product MATERIALS three times and Returned it three times. This will create 3 separate Matches and the macro would need to match the Returns with their corresponding Loans to “Match-up” before inserting the row to enter the formulas for each Match.

(3.) I do not know why but on rows 115-118, the macro bunched up two different Customers with two different Products (but had the same Supplier). If it could not do this and work correctly.

(4.) It not have that drop down list on the left hand side once it is completed. Not a huge deal, I think I could probably figure something out.

The Uncompleted Workbook is a sample of how the data comes in and the Completed Workbook is how I would hope the macro would turn the data into.

I would be extremely grateful for any help anyone is able to provide. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you ahead of time!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
An alternative to VBA is Power Query to group the data. Once you have grouped, then close and load to an excel spreadsheet. All this done in the user interface. Convert the table to a range and apply the subtotal function to the range. Again, no coding required as all actions are done in the U/I

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"CUSTOMER", "PRODUCT", "SUPPLIER"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [CUSTOMER=number, PRODUCT=text, SUPPLIER=text, PRICE=number, UNITS=number, TRANSACTION=text]}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Data"}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Data", {"CUSTOMER", "PRODUCT", "SUPPLIER", "PRICE", "UNITS", "TRANSACTION"}, {"CUSTOMER", "PRODUCT", "SUPPLIER", "PRICE", "UNITS", "TRANSACTION"})
in
    #"Expanded Data"

Upvote 0
An alternative to VBA is Power Query to group the data. Once you have grouped, then close and load to an excel spreadsheet. All this done in the user interface. Convert the table to a range and apply the subtotal function to the range. Again, no coding required as all actions are done in the U/I

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"CUSTOMER", "PRODUCT", "SUPPLIER"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [CUSTOMER=number, PRODUCT=text, SUPPLIER=text, PRICE=number, UNITS=number, TRANSACTION=text]}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Data"}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Data", {"CUSTOMER", "PRODUCT", "SUPPLIER", "PRICE", "UNITS", "TRANSACTION"}, {"CUSTOMER", "PRODUCT", "SUPPLIER", "PRICE", "UNITS", "TRANSACTION"})
in
    #"Expanded Data"
Hello! I do appreciate your help and providing the above but I would like to try and keep this whole task in the macro. This is just the last piece of the macro. Thank you very much though!

Upvote 0
Good Luck. You will need to be patient and wait for someone with more VBA skills than I can provide.

Upvote 0
Good Luck. You will need to be patient and wait for someone with more VBA skills than I can provide.
Thank you! I have a lot of respect for people who can code this sort of stuff. I know I am at the mercy of someone who is bored/looking for a challenge. Haha Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jatin Bhagdev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back