Excel Suggest The Next Awesome Excel Idea - 2546

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Feb 3, 2023.
Do you love Excel? Do you have a feature that would make Excel easier for you? Write up your idea and post it to the new Feedback Forum for the Excel team. Other people can vote for your idea and many ideas each year are added to Excel.

The Feedback portal for Excel is at: Community

Vote for my idea to use the Custom Lists when renaming copied worksheets, vote here: Community

If you post a great idea at the Feedback forum, let me know the title in a YouTube comment and I will vote for your idea as well.

This video shows how to access the Feedback portal and talks about current Excel features that were suggested through the Feedback Portal.

Table of Contents
(0:00) The Excel team wants your improvement ideas
(0:25) Feedback icon on Help tab
(0:51) Choose platform
(1:14) Post a new idea
(2:32) Success: No more CSV Nagging
(3:13) Fail: Thousands Separator no Decimals
(3:46) More Feedback Successes
(4:17) Filtering while co-authoring
(4:30) Pivot Table Defaults
(5:20) Wrap-up
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Bill Jelen: How you can suggest the next awesome Excel feature. The Excel team has an awesome history of listening to feedback.
You post an idea, other people vote for it, and many times, those things happen. Now, look, this all changed.
It used to be that you'd go to UserVoice, excel.uservoice.com, and now Microsoft has moved to their own site.
To get there, you need to go to help and then feedback.
And then over here on the far right hand side, I have a suggestion. For the longest time, this button didn't work.
It wasn't hooked up to feedbackportal.microsoft.com.
No one's ever going to remember this, unfortunately.
I'll put the link down in the YouTube description in case it ever gets broken again.
Now, the things you want to look for here.
On the right hand side, categories, you're going to choose Windows, if you're using Windows.
If you're using something else, feel free to use something else.
Here, I like to look for things that have the most votes or most trending. Down here under statuses, these are great.
You can come here and say look for everything, we're considering this.
All right? So these are ideas.
Look how many votes. 419, 412, and so on.
All right, now if you have an idea. Up here, click Send Feedback.
Excel. Type in a title.
Platform: Windows Selected category: I'll go with editing and formatting.
Take a look here through similar feedback in this forum to see if someone has already suggested it.
If not, down in the description, type your idea.
There's all kinds of great formatting items down here.
So if I Ctrl+Drag the January worksheet to the right to make a copy of the worksheet, they call it January (2).
Do it again January (3) and four. How about, using the same logic as a fill handle.
When I Ctrl+drag January it should create February, then March, then April.
Jan would copy to Feb, Monday to Tuesday, Mon to Tue.
2023 quarter one would copy to 2023 quarter two.
You'd follow all the same rules already written for the Fill Handle. Wouldn't that be a great idea?
I'll click send. Alright, there it is.
Zero votes.
I'm going to put a link down in the YouTube description. Go vote for my idea.
And if you post an idea, leave a comment down in the YouTube description and I'll vote for yours.
Before you know it, all of our ideas and your ideas, they'll be in Excel.Now, if you want proof that this works, I have a collection of what I call the greatest hits of feedback successes.
I love this one.
No more warnings about saving as a CSV, especially when they didn't change anything.
I don't know how many thousands of times I've told Excel that yes, I really true do mean to save this file as a CSV.
I recognize that not everyone will understand the CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, but I do, and I still want to do it and I want to do it a lot.
Give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings.
1,196 votes.
Options, save, show data loss warning when editing common to limited files, uncheck that. No more CSV nagging.
Another one of the most snarky suggestions.
Every time, many days a year, I train people in Excel and someone asks why there's no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with thousand separator, no decimals.
At least here in Northern Europe, this is the most common used number format. This one got shot down.
Ah, it's there.
It says comma style, and it says number format with a thousand separator, but it does all kinds of other bad stuff as well.
Two decimal points, indents from the right edge, replaces zero with dashes.
All right, so that one didn't work, but these did.
Have Excel scroll better when there's large sales, done.
Stop Excel from changing large numbers to scientific notation, done.
Maintain leading zeros when entering values in sales, done.
Pull current stock prices and historical data into Excel, that's working, the new stock history function.
Unhide multiple worksheets at once, thank God, done.
Allow us to turn off automatic conversion to date, not yet, maybe.
Format as a checkbox, not yet, maybe. Filtering needs to work on co-authoring.
This was me. I wrote this one years ago.
Used to be that if you were co-authoring, one person filtered, it would show up for everyone.
They now have sheet view. Done.
Another one of mine.
Allow users to choose defaults for pivot tables, compact, tabular, classic, et cetera. Done.
File, options, data, edit, default layout.
Make power pivot available in all versions, 533 votes, done starting in Excel 2019. Look, they're there.
They're listening. All of these get read.
They will say, "Yeah, we can do this," or, "There's some reason why we can't do it".
And every year, more and more awesome features that were sourced by the people who know Excel really well, you, the people are using Excel 20, 30, 40 hours a week, right?
We love Excel. The Excel team loves Excel.
Let us share our feedback with Excel.
Others will vote your idea up, and there's a good chance that you can get your feature in a future version of Excel.
Well, hey, I want to thank the Excel team for being so responsive to the feedback portal.
I want to thank you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back