Excel Shortcuts - Current Region - Podcast 2119

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jul 28, 2017.
Use Ctrl+* to select the current region
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel From MrExcel, Podcast Episode 2119: Control* To Select The Current Region.
Alright. So, if we have a huge data set, we want to select that data set, just press CONTROL* and it will select all the way to the edge of the data set in all directions, alright?
So, it's when it has a completely, completely blank edge.
Let me show you what I mean by that.
Okay, so, right here, if we start here, it's going to go to column I to row 9, column N, and then when it hits the edge of the worksheet, so row 1, like this, CONTROL*, alright, and it…can you have some blanks in there?
Yes, it's okay to have some blanks but you can't have a completely blank row, like that, and I realized that row isn't blank but, at least from the point of view of this current region, that's not blank, right here, that cell, if that cells not filled in so I took that cell, cleared it out, and do CONTROL*, you'll have that.
Alright, now, you know, just kind of as a bonus tip here, one thing that I hate that managers ask for sometimes are these tiny little columns between the columns, alright?
This is a disaster waiting to happen, those tiny little columns.
I worked for this guy once and he didn't like if we would just underscores like -- HEAD 1 -- if we would go into CONTROL+1 and say that we wanted to underline that with a single accounting underline or single underline, it doesn't underline the whole column, alright, and he wanted the whole column underlined but he didn't want one single block of data.
So, if we would come here and use the bottom border, then it's just a single line all the way across.
He wanted these tiny little gaps and so we had to add the extra gaps.
Well, the reason I hate this is CONTROL* doesn't work anymore, alright?
So, what we would do is when he would set up his data like this and send us the spreadsheet, we would secretly sneak in here and put a space on each of those.
That way, when we used CONTROL*, it would work, alright, but, hey, let's get even better here.
Let's eliminate this problem.
Go back to just any 4 cells here.
We'll take this one -- HEAD 1, 2, 3, 4 -- alright, and instead of this underline -- which was the underline he didn't want, the regular underline -- we'll do CONTROL 1, and then go to the UNDERLINE drop down and choose SINGLE ACCOUNTING.
Now, hey, I know what this does for numbers and I know what DOUBLE ACCOUNTING does for numbers, but, for text, this is awesome because what it does is it underlines the whole cell all the way, not just the characters but it underlines all the way, but it leaves tiny little gaps between those.
So, you can eliminate that whole problem there.
Alright, so, CONTROL*, select current region, plus a little bit extra there on the single accounting underline.
Thanks for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back