Excel Run-time error for database update

RTFentem

Hello everyone,

I am new to excel and sql server. I have created a sub with the help of others to update a table called CUSTINFO in a database called PMCustomers

here is the code
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
'to Update or Insert new into the form

' Create a connection object.
Dim cnPMCustomers As ADODB.Connection
Set cnPMCustomers = New ADODB.Connection

' Provide the connection string.
Dim strConn As String

'Use the SQL Server OLE DB Provider.
strConn = "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;"

'Connect to the PMCustomers database on the local server.
strConn = strConn & "DATA SOURCE=(local);INITIAL CATALOG=PMCustomers;"

'Use an integrated login.
strConn = strConn & " INTEGRATED SECURITY=sspi;"

'Now open the connection.
cnPMCustomers.Open strConn

' declare the variable, strPhoneNum as a string
Dim strPhoneNum As String

' Direct variable name where to get value
strPhoneNum = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B10").Value
Debug.Print (strPhoneNum)

' declare strSQL as a string
Dim strSQL As String

' create the columnname to columnvalue pairs in the UPDATE statement using
' the passed parameter PhoneNum in the WHERE statement
strSQL = "UPDATE PMCustomers.CUSTINFO SET "
strSQL = strSQL & "Name = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B9").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "CompanyName = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("E9").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "Phone = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B10").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "CellPhone = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("E10").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "BillToAddress1 = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B13").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "BillToAddress2 = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B14").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "BillToCity = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B15").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "BillToState = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B16").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "BillToZip = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B17").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "Country = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("B18").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "ShipToAddress1 = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("F13").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "ShipToAddress2 = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("F14").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "ShipToCity = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("F15").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "ShipToState = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("F16").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "ShipToZip = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("F17").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "ContactPhone = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("F18").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "PaymentType = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("A21").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "CCNumber = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("C21").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "CCExpireDate = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("E21").Value & "', "
strSQL = strSQL & "Email = '" & Worksheets("Sales Invoice").Range("C23").Value & "'"
strSQL = strSQL & " Where Phone = '" & strPhoneNum & "'"

Debug.Print (strSQL)
cnPMCustomers.Execute strSQL
' close connection
cnPMCustomers.Close
End Sub

I get a Run-time error '-2147217900(80040e37) Automation error
when I step through the code. I get this output in the immediate window

1-111-222-3333
UPDATE PMCustomers.CUSTINFO SET Name = 'John Q2 Test1', CompanyName = 'Q''s 4Wheel Toys', Phone = '1-111-222-3333', CellPhone = '1-222-333-4444', BillToAddress1 = '123 Somewhere Street', BillToAddress2 = 'Building 99', BillToCity = 'Somecity1', BillToState = 'Somestate1', BillToZip = '12345-54321', Country = 'USA', ShipToAddress1 = 'Ship to Street1', ShipToAddress2 = 'Depot 11', ShipToCity = 'Shipcity1', ShipToState = 'Shipstate1', ShipToZip = '54321-12345', ContactPhone = '1-333-444-5555', PaymentType = 'Visa', CCNumber = '1234-5678-9012-3456 / 123', CCExpireDate = '09/2009', Email = 'someone@someplace.net' Where Phone = '1-111-222-3333'

I really need to get this working as my job is on the line because of it.

Thanks
R :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi

I suspect it has something to do with the doubled up single quotes you appear to have in CompanyName = 'Q''s 4Wheel Toys'. I would try inputting it without the punctuation in the string (ie 'Qs 4 Wheel Toys' instead) and see if it works any better. It would be worth going thru the rest of the values to ensure you aren't getting any other string terminators in the SQL.

Upvote 0
I removed the single quote from both the excel form and in the database, but I still get the same runtime error. It occurs at the

Code:

I also went through the rest of the code and did not find any other single quotes

R

Upvote 0
I removed the single quote from both the excel form and in the database, but I still get the same runtime error. It occurs at the

Code:

I also went through the rest of the code and did not find any other single quotes

R

Upvote 0
Are you sure you have the write format for data in each of those fields? Things like the phone number actually do have '-' in them? The dashes are not just the result of an input mask in the table (ie purely presentational)?

Upvote 0
Hello Richard,
I physically typed the test line of data into the database using the "-". The end user will also be using the "-" when they type in the phone number. the column in the table is formated as a varchar.

Ideas?
R

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back