Excel Memory limitation (Office 2013 32bit) on 64bit OS Windows 7 Enterprise

BrianM

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,
I routinely work with (what I consider large files) 90 mb(s) or so in size (multiple sheets with hundreds of thousands of rows with lots of formulas). My current concern is that my CPU is pegged out at 100% and the fan sounds like the laptop is going to take off at any moment. My question is: Is it the CPU that is the bottleneck? I've read that Excel won't go over 4 GB of RAM usage; so, that must be the issue (I guess). Below are the specs from the Dell Precision M4800. Any suggestions on a better setup?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) with 32 GB of RAM.

Thanks,
Brian

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
64 bit excel isn't limited to the 32bit memory limit

what other programmes do you have running at the same time 90Mb isn't really an issue when you have 32Gb ram

Maximum limits of memory storage and file size for Data Model workbooks.
32-bit environment is subject to 2 gigabytes (GB) of virtual address space, shared by Excel, the workbook, and add-ins that run in the same process.

so do you have lots of formulas that are being updated / volatile ?

Upvote 0
Hello All,
I routinely work with (what I consider large files) 90 mb(s) or so in size (multiple sheets with hundreds of thousands of rows with lots of formulas). My current concern is that my CPU is pegged out at 100% and the fan sounds like the laptop is going to take off at any moment. My question is: Is it the CPU that is the bottleneck? I've read that Excel won't go over 4 GB of RAM usage; so, that must be the issue (I guess). Below are the specs from the Dell Precision M4800. Any suggestions on a better setup?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) with 32 GB of RAM.

Thanks,
Brian

What has your system been subjected to that would use 4 gb or Ram on a 32 gb processor? Does the file have an exorbitant amount of formulas on a sheet that uses most of the avaliable space? Most systems can handle 90mb files so long as they are not formula laden with autocalc on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back