Excel itself will not close; needs to be killed from Task Manager

nigelh

I have an Excel based application which loads an Add-in when the control spreadsheet is opened, and then when the user has completed the task, unloads the Add-in as part of the Workbook_Before Close process. The control spreadsheet is closed by clicking the "X" button on the workbook window (not the overall Excel window). The add-in appears to unload correctly, and the control spreadsheet disappears. However, I have now run into a situation where I cannot close Excel itself. Clicking the "X" button elicits a "Not Responding" message, and I have to resort to using the Task Manager to kill the process. This also takes a number of attempts to actually kill the process. The only clue I have is that sometimes, when I restart Excel (2003, by the way), I get a message about a serious problem with the Add-in and do I want to disable them. The Add-in is loaded from a network drive, as is the control spreadsheet.

This is totally new behaviour to me: I thought at first that it might be related to using a version of the Add-in that was modified in Excel 2010 (but not using the .xlam extension), but I think this is a red herring, as the behaviour still occurs with a version of the Add-in modified and stored from Excel 2003.

Any ideasa would be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Mmmm... Thanks for the link, Dave. I need to check the code, but basically the user starts Excel from the Start menu, or from a shortcut. The application does open a number of files, and there are unqualified references to cells and ranges - but always within the context of first activating the relevant workbook. These workbooks are then closed before the final close. All range names are (I think) defined in terms of a specific workbook, but that may be where an issue lies

Part of my puzzle is that this phenomenon only appears at one particular site - I guess I need to do a code diff to see if there are any differences between installations that could point highlight the problem

Thanks
Nigel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back