Excel Import

tstoneh

Board Regular
Hello Out there,

Trying to import an Excel Spreadsheet that keeps getting errors when I import it. I don't think the data is that bad but it keeps kicking out some of the information into the errors file. Some of the data has alpha charaters and numeric data. As an example it looks like this. N46467644. Then there is data without a alpha character like 978695413. That ones with alphas show up on the error report. I thought I could change the field options data type but I can't get it to activate. Just wondering if you would know what I need to do to get the field options to activate or maybe you would have a bettter way to do this?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
TStoneh,
What you're dealing with is a very common problem; Access makes guesses about the data types of the Excel columns based on the first 10 or so fields of data and doesn't allow you to alter its guesses. There are numerous ways to avoid this, but all are fairly complicated work-arounds:
-Insert a new row into the Spreadsheet and type "X" into every field. This way, everything will import as text and, when it's actually in Access, you can automate deleting that "X" row and then use C functions (CLng, CDate, etc.) to massage the data and get it into the type that you want.
-Use Excel automation (using the Excel Object Library from within Access via VBA) to perform row by row validation of the spreadsheet to get a handle on exactly what data type each column is.
-Maybe the easiest, if you have this option, is to use a text file rather than an Excel spreadsheet to import data. Access will allow you to define the data type for each field. You could actually convert your .xls file to a .csv file and even though it still "looks" like a spreadsheet, Access will read it as a text file.

Upvote 0
You could try importing into a existing table which has the fields you want with the data type you want.

eg set the type of the field causing the problems to Text

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back