Excel Help isn't working, but you can still....

DRSteele

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
"Excel Help isn't working, but you can still go to Office.com...."

This error message persistently pops up at the least opportune times. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Do you have any add-ins which may cause the 'help' to crash??

My first suggestion would be a repair of Excel (looking around, some people have had to repair twice!)

My last suggestion would be a re-install of Excel! :(

Upvote 0
I think I stumbled upon an answer. When the message appears, go to Internet Options in the Control Panel, delete the browsing history and clear the SSL state. Help functionality will return.

Upvote 0
I think I stumbled upon an answer. When the message appears, go to Internet Options in the Control Panel, delete the browsing history and clear the SSL state. Help functionality will return.

I was helped too with this tip. (Microsoft Technician's remote assistance help could not solve this years-long standing error in my computer, nowadays with Windows 10/Office 2016.

Upvote 0

Thanks so much!! For me, these are the only Internet Options I set for the browser history delete. Worked like a champ. Whew! You are GREAT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
YIKES!! Image didnt render. Sorry about that.

I chose
1. Preserve Favorites website data
2. Temporary Internet Files and website files
3. Cookies and Website data

My help function came back without having to clear the SSL state.

Sorry about the image SNAPHOOO.

Upvote 0
<section class="ocpSection" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web Regular', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Helvetica Neue', 'BBAlpha Sans', 'S60 Sans', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px;">
  1. Right-click the [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Start button (lower-left corner), and select [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Programs and Features[/FONT] on the pop-up menu.
    Right-click the Microsoft Office product you want to repair, and select [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Change[/FONT].[/FONT]

2. From the "How would you like to repair your Office Programs" screen, select [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Online Repairto make sure everything gets fixed, and then select [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Repair[/FONT]. The [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Quick Repair[/FONT] option is also available, which runs faster but only detects and then replaces corrupted files.[/FONT]
  3. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete.

</section><section class="ocpSection" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web Regular', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Helvetica Neue', 'BBAlpha Sans', 'S60 Sans', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px;"></section>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csktwyr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back