Excel Front end to HUGE dataset -- Best options?

mbwd

So I recognize that this is not Excel's primary function, but I have created a dashboard using various pivot tables, pivot charts, and slicers in Excel. The dashboard is visually appealing and exquisitely functional. Importantly, it can be used by anyone on my network with base Excel. However, I created the dashboard using only a subset of my data because the dataset I want to connect it to is HUGE for Excel -- over 100 million rows.

My goal is to keep all of the work that went into creating the dashboard and allow Excel to connect to the underlying data in some fast, CPU non-intensive way. I tried to use PowerPivot to make this work, but it was incredibly slow.

I can put the dataset in pretty much any file format, including Access, SAS, and (potentially) ODBC.

Any ideas on the best way to do this? I was thinking about using R as the front end, but the RExcel module was not working for me.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
for 100,000,000 records you'll need a substantial system behind it like ORACLE or SQL Server

And ODBC would Probably be the best way to connect ( another thing to check for in the users environment )

and you'd want to ensure that a user couldn't call all 100 mil hit

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dofrancis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back