Excel formula to return the formula from a table using the table header as a reference

trishcollins

Board Regular
I have successfully used this formula to get the exact address of a header in a table, which I can then use in a Hyperlink formula, to go directly to that header. What I am trying to do, is get the formula in the first row of the column under the same header, and display it in text form. The reason for this, is that allows me to document the formulas with definitions on another worksheet. The thing to remember is that I am checking first to see if the initial enter text is referring to a Table or a Named Range, as I treat Named Ranges differently. The portion in bold/italics is what I am concerned about. What do I change to get the contents of the next row, which is a formula, to return in text format.

=IF([@[Table or Named Range]]="Table",CELL("address",(INDIRECT([@[Table or Range Names]]&"[[#Headers], [" & [@[Header or Range Name]]&"]]"))),CELL("address",INDIRECT([@[Table or Range Names]])))

The result of this formula is: '[DND-SCN-Client Application Onboarding to SCN Tool-WIPv1.43.xlsm]Business Needs Matrix'!$K$1

I want the result of the new formula to display the formula in the first row below ($K$2) as text.

Trish ;)

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You can use this, where Cell A1 is the cell address result from the formula above
=FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(A1,1,0))

Upvote 0
Thanks, worked like a charm!!!!
Spoke too soon. It's actually returning the formula for the cell "Count" which is the formula to get the name of the header, not the formula in the first row of the referenced table. I am sure this is an indirect thing

Upvote 0
Yeah, you're right.
=FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(INDIRECT(H1),1,0))
Add the Indirect. H1 in this example the is the address provided from the formula above

Upvote 0
Using that same formula, is it possible to return the Data Validation formula, as I am hoping to document the offset formulas I use in those as well. Here is the formula I used with your help above, so that if it's a range, then I just grab the formula from the range, if it's a table, I use the header to look up the cell address and offset by 1, but if there is no formula, but I have put in a drop down menu that has a formula (offset), is it possible to return that formula or list? That's why I had to use isna, for cells that don't have a formula, but where I am documenting the data validation rules for that data column.

=IF([@[Table or Named Range]]="Range",FORMULATEXT([@Count]), IF(ISNA(FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(INDIRECT([@Count]),1,0))),"No Formula",FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(INDIRECT([@Count]),1,0))))

Upvote 0
sorry, here is the formula corrected:
=IF([@[Table or Named Range]]="Named Range",FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT([@Count])),
IF(ISNA(FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(INDIRECT([@Count]),1,0))),"No Formula",
FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(INDIRECT([@Count]),1,0))))

It is the test for "No Formula", I would like to get the data validation formula

Upvote 0
I don't know of a way to get the Data Validation formula using a function, but this User Defined Function can. Add the code below to a Standard VBA Module. Reference the function in a Cell like:
=GetDVFormula(I3)

VBA Code:
Function GetDVFormula(R As Range) As String
  GetDVFormula = R.Validation.Formula1
End Function

Upvote 0
I copied and pasted the code into a module, then put this is a separate column to test. I am getting #VALUE as a result. Remember I need to do an offset, as the address I have is referencing the header, and I need to move down one row to get the correct address of the cell. Any suggestions on how to work around this?

=GetDVFormula(FORMULATEXT(OFFSET(INDIRECT([@[Table/Range Cell Reference]]),1,0)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back