Excel filter sorting is not working

yxz152830

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Gurus,
I have the 'highlight duplicate' enabled so I know these highlighted ones have duplicates but they do not get sorted together. What is the most likely reason for this? Thank you!
1717456422542.png

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
are all cells the same datatype? Numbers sort differently from text.

To confirm take off cell justification, and change to NUMBER with some Decimals.
Also, do you have any zero length text characters in front of the text? Is it part of a table that had other sorting that you need to remove all sorts?

If it is a formula sort, what is the formula (and data the formula is based on)?

Upvote 0
Solution
are all cells the same datatype? Numbers sort differently from text.

To confirm take off cell justification, and change to NUMBER with some Decimals.
Also, do you have any zero length text characters in front of the text? Is it part of a table that had other sorting that you need to remove all sorts?

If it is a formula sort, what is the formula (and data the formula is based on)?
Hi Gurus thanks for noticing. Yes the values were in different datatype I think. After I double clicked on it and entered, it got sorted. So here I have another question. How do I mass change the datatype without having to click on each one and then hit enter to really convert it to text?

Upvote 0
Try this:
It works for me most of the time:
Highlight to range of cells (or click entire row/column).
Set format to TEXT.
Then: (can only be done in columns or portions of a column): On Data Tab, use the text to columns feature step through the process and choose text. Click OK.
(if you have apostrophe's before numbers they may remain, but should not affect the sort).

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyapratama

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back