Excel Fill Text On Subtotal Rows - Episode 2257

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Feb 28, 2019.
Revisiting a topic from Episode 1995 - how do you bring the customer name field down into the subtotal rows? Kimberly from Oklahoma City and Sarah from Omaha collaborate for a faster way.
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel podcast, episode 2257. Fill text in the subtotal rows.
Hey welcome back to MrExcel netcast, I’m Bill Jelen.
I already covered this one once back in episode 1995 but I was in Oklahoma City and Kimberly had a faster way to do this. So here’s the problem. We have to add subtitle to this this data, didn’t you can see that this is so typical. Who ever entered the customer, sometimes enters the full name, sometimes just enters, you know, the little abbreviation name. But we have the subtotals. Well that forces us to subtotal by account otherwise I would have subtotals, subtotal, subtotal. Alright, so, I’m going to add subtotals in data, subtotals in each change of account, use the sum function on sales, looks great until I go to the number 2 view then I’m just seeing the account number and no customer information.
Alright, so, episode 1995 shows a hard way to do this. But I was in Oklahoma City and Kimberly says, “Hey look, if your whole goal, if you’re never going to show this view, if your whole goal is just to get this report printed out, then the fast way to go is to cut right here and insert one cell.” Alright, there’s a lot of shortcuts for this that I’ve known, Alt, press and release Alt, then H I I. So Alt, and then H and then I and then I and then Shift cells down is already there so you just press enter which is the same as clicking ok. I’m stuck back in Excel 2003 and I can still do Alt I and then E and then D and then Enter. But thanks to Sarah from row 4 in Omaha, she has a faster way which is Control plus Control plus, brings up that dialogue box, shift cells down is over there, press enter and bam. You’re done like that and it looks beautiful. So thanks to Kimberly and Sarah for those awesome ideas.
And hey, I want to thank you for stopping by. We’ll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Penapensil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back