Excel file open straight into combo box - how to?

Julian C

I want Excel file to open straight into a combo box, and cannot work out how to do this.
The aim is for a hyperlink from our Intranet to open Excel file then all the user has to do is to type a few letters within the combo box to bring up the correct option from the list (thus displaying [in nearby cells] data linked to this row elsewhere on the sheet) (uses linked cell [to combo box] + formulae such as =INDEX($H$2:$L$261, MATCH(G3,$H$2:$H$261,), MATCH(J2,$I$2:$L$2,)) to display the linked data.
All of this is working perfectly (took me ages to work out how to do this) - BUT whatever I try - cannot get the file to open with the cursor flashing within the combo box - can do the cell behind but not actually within the box.

I know you can move mouse & click on the combo box but I have a very very varied IT skill base within our staff - some find even this hard! In convincing people that IT can supplant bits of paper stuck to the wall it is good to have 100% hassle free operation to avoid carping.

anyone have any suggestions?
thanks - Julian (Excel version 2000 9.0.3821)

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back