Excel.exe hosting

udexcel

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel.exe file I want to sell to my clients. I want my clients to be accessing the file via desktop app but it will be in the cloud for their branches to work with simultaneously and collaboratively.

I have tried Dropbox and the likes, but it downloads and overwrite any changes made by other branches.

Please, can someone suggest to me an App that can help me host my excel.exe full of macros in the cloud, as well be accessible in desktop and real time, merges automatically users changes without downloading and overwriting.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Wow.... where to start... my advice is that you need to completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) rethink what you're doing here.

Let's just put aside your proposed sale of a single exe file on commercial terms to a corporate client for deployment and use by multiple staff members across several branches... no, in fact lets assume that Microsoft were completely OK with you doing this because... you know... that's not their business model AT ALL. And let's assume that this kind of thing is completely exempt from intellectual property legislation in the relevant jurisdiction(s)... and finally, let's assume that the installation of Excel really is just matter of transferring a single exe file that dozens / hundreds of people can all simultaneous access "on the cloud".... let's assume everything about this is perfectly ok.... you've just got one more little problem... there doesn't exist an App that will "host your Excel.exe full of macros in the cloud, as well be accessible in desktop and real time, merges automatically users changes without downloading and overwriting"... it doesn't exist. Well, I'm certain that one doesn't exist in this reality, at least, though I can't be sure about any of the other dimensions...

Or instead of excel.exe, do you meant to say that you have created an addin (XLAM) or XLSM file that you plan on selling?

As an alternative to your plans above, perhaps you might want to consider LibreOffice. It is a free office suite, and it has an implementation of VBA that should be able to run most/all of your macros (subject to some adjustments). Or maybe you could use the free version of Excel Online, thought this won't allow you to execute VBA unfortunately. But let us know how you get on.

Upvote 0
Wow.... where to start... my advice is that you need to completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) rethink what you're doing here.

Let's just put aside your proposed sale of a single exe file on commercial terms to a corporate client for deployment and use by multiple staff members across several branches... no, in fact lets assume that Microsoft were completely OK with you doing this because... you know... that's not their business model AT ALL. And let's assume that this kind of thing is completely exempt from intellectual property legislation in the relevant jurisdiction(s)... and finally, let's assume that the installation of Excel really is just matter of transferring a single exe file that dozens / hundreds of people can all simultaneous access "on the cloud".... let's assume everything about this is perfectly ok.... you've just got one more little problem... there doesn't exist an App that will "host your Excel.exe full of macros in the cloud, as well be accessible in desktop and real time, merges automatically users changes without downloading and overwriting"... it doesn't exist. Well, I'm certain that one doesn't exist in this reality, at least, though I can't be sure about any of the other dimensions...

Or instead of excel.exe, do you meant to say that you have created an addin (XLAM) or XLSM file that you plan on selling?

As an alternative to your plans above, perhaps you might want to consider LibreOffice. It is a free office suite, and it has an implementation of VBA that should be able to run most/all of your macros (subject to some adjustments). Or maybe you could use the free version of Excel Online, thought this won't allow you to execute VBA unfortunately. But let us know how you get on.
Thanks. I believe there's a way out to merge some changes done by users in different desktops yet it will sync back to the server/host.

Meanwhile, I am still battling with how I can post from excel to a database. Any help will be appropriated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back