Excel.exe has generated errors...

geolefty

Board Regular
:x

Argh!

I am working in a file and I go to do something and Excel crashes. I get the message

"Excel.exe has generated erros and will be closed by Windows. An error log will be generated."

I lose all of my current changes. Sometimes when I perform a specific action (for example refresh a certain pivot table) I can get it to crash.

The problem is that it seems to be totally random. It used to be when I had done a bunch of things that it would crash. Recently it has been even the most simple things (copying or editing a cell) have made it crash.

Anyone else experience this? How did you fix it?

any help is much appreciated. This is getting to be like Groundhog day. I have re-opened the same file about 6 times in the last 15 minutes and not gotten anywhere.

thanks

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hi Geo,

It sounds like your copy of Excel has become corrupted. I recommend you completely uninstall Excel (which gets rid of most DLLs that might be corrupted) and re-install it. This should solve any Excel-only problem. If this doesn't solve it then chances are it is caused by a corrupted Windows API DLL file, and a Windows refresh might solve it. It is also possible (unlikely based on your description of the symptoms) that it is caused by Internet Explorer since Excel uses IE code to display its help files.

Damon

Upvote 0
Additional problems. Now this seems to be happening on my home system as well.

Windows 2000/Excel 2000 at work

Windows 98/Excel 2000 at home.

I am working on reinstalling Excel but this never had happened at home?

Bad file instead of bad Excel?

I am working with a large flat file and numerous fields in the pivot tables. That is when it seemed to have the most issues.

thanks again

Upvote 0
Hi geolefty,

Yes, it is quite possibly the file's fault. I should have asked whether this was happening with all files, or just particular ones. I have encountered this myself where a particular file would crash Excel consistently. Several times I had to copy all the data into a new workbook to eliminate the problem, other times I had to go back to a previous version of the file. Perhaps one of these will work for you.

Damon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back