Excel creates multiple .pdf files

bfmuller

I have run across an odd behavior of Excel 2003. (This is also true in Excel 2000). I use a printer driver type of .pdf converter (pdf995) and it works perfectly with Word.

I have a large workbook with many different worksheets. If I select several worksheets and print them to a printer, they print properly. If I select the .pdf generator as the printer, I get several separate files. All the worksheets are there, only some are in separate files.

This is the mystery: If all worksheets were each in their own .pdf file I would understand that is how Excel prints. But, some of the .pdf files contain more than one worksheet, each in its own page of the .pdf file. What I can't understand is why some are combined with others, and some are not. (needless to say, what I really want is one large .pdf file of all the selected worksheets)

When I select a bunch of worksheets, the word "group" appears in the bar at the top of the program, so I am sure I have selected and grouped the sheets.

i have tried other "Print to .pdf" programs, and all behave the same way, so I am sure it is Excel doing this.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Well, I found the answer. Under "Page Set Up" the pages that printed together had the "header and footer" settings the same. Those pages with the header and footer set to "none" printed in a different .pdf file. So, all I had to do was make sure all headers and footers were set the same, and the selected sheets all appeared in the same .pdf file.

This header and footer disparity came about because some of the sheets were copied from different workbooks that had their header and footers different. Since this workbook rarely got printed, nobody noticed the different headers and footers before now.

I hope this helps somebody else.

Upvote 0
I have had a similar issue when the print resolution was set differently on the different tabs.
This is a pain to fix (as far as I know) becauseI had to cange it for each tab, there did not seem to be a single document setting for this...

Upvote 0
Just solved the same issue as this that was resulting in multiple pdfs when selecting to print a group of worksheets.

had to change the dpi settings under page setup

followed this guide:

http://www.novapdf.com/kb/printing-an-entire-excel-workbook-to-a-single-pdf-file-135.html

worked for acrobat and pdf creator also.

Actually was very easy with Excel 2010. Just had to CTRL+ Click or SHIFT +Click to select all the sheets and then bring up the page setup dialog box.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back