Excel Create A Personal Macro Workbook - 2553

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Feb 15, 2023.
How to Create a Personal Macro Workbook in Excel.

I have a lot of other videos where I want you to put a few lines of VBA into your Personal Macro Workbook. I am always thinking that many people won't have a Personal Macro Workbook. My goal with this video is that any time a future video mentions the Personal Macro Workbook, I can ask you to watch this video to create a Personal Macro Workbook and then you can go back to the other video for the VBA code for that particular task.

Table of Contents
(0:00) Excel Create a Personal Macro Workbook
(0:18) Do you already have Personal.xlsb?
(0:41) Recording Hello macro into Personal Macro Workbook
(1:42) Need to Save Personal.XLSB so do it now
(2:12) Add Developer tab to Ribbon
(2:10) Open Visual Basic Editor
(2:38) Open Project Explorer in VBA
(2:55) Saving Personal from VBA Editor
(3:22) Wrap up with Wally & Nancy
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Today I'm going to show you how to create a personal macro workbook. If you're at this video, there's a good chance that you were watching another YouTube video.
And it gave you code to add to the personal macro workbook, and it said, "If you don't have Personal.XLSB yet, to come here to this video and watch".
So first question, do you have Personal.XLSB? And we do that with Alt+F8.
Alt+F8, and then here in macros, open it and see if in the list of open Wordbooks is Personal.XLSB.
If you do, then that's great, go back to the other video and just paste the code in.
But let's assume you don't, you don't have Personal.XLSB.
So here's what we're going to do, we're going to come out to the view tab, on the far right-hand side is macros, and we're going to record a macro.
For the macro name, we're just going to call it, Hello.
And store macros in, this is really important, you open that drop down and choose personal macro workbook. This is a starter macro to create Personal.XLSB.
You don't have to put that in, but it'll help you five years from now, remember what the heck the Hello macro was for. Click okay.
Just select any cell, probably A1 would be the right cell to select, type the word, Hello, and press enter like that.
All right, so now the macro just recorded the action of typing Hello in A1, but down here on the status bar beneath all the sheet tabs, to the right of workbook statistics, is this little square dot.
A macro is currently recording, click to stop recording.
All right, that's it, congratulations, you have a Personal.XLSB now.
Now the problem that we have is you're going to continue to work in Excel for another eight, 10, 12 hours today.
And at the end of the day, you're going to close Excel and it's going to ask you, "Do you want to save Personal.XLSB?" And you will not even remember that you set up a Personal XLSB right?
So two options, one option is close Excel and let them ask you the question right now, the other option is a little bit harder, but not that much harder.
Come up here into the ribbon, right click and say, customize the ribbon, and on the far right-hand side, go to the developer tab and turn that on.
If you've never had a Personal XLSB, it probably isn't turned on for you. Click okay.
Once you have the developer tab, and over here on the far left-hand icon, visual basic, and if you've never been here before, this is going to start completely blank like that, how intimidating.
Go to View, and Project Explorer, and then through this list, find Personal.XLSB and click on it like that.
Just a single click, not a double click.
And with Personal XLSB selected up here, click save.
And that will save your macro with probably just module one with that code.
Code that probably looks like this, although in your case, it'll be in module one.
Every time that you record a new macro on a new day, it'll go to a new module, and that's okay, these can all be in separate modules, not a big deal there.
All right, well good, thanks for watching this video and go back to the original video where I have something very cool for you to add to your personal macro workbook.
Thanks for stopping by, we'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back