Excel caused an error in user.exe excel will close now

susen

hi, My computer has an millenium edition with microsoft small buisness office 2000.
This is connected to network, when ever a user login in to network and open excel than it displays
"Excel caused an error in user.exe excel will close now"
If it is not connected to network,than it is not creating a problem.
Even if another network user logins to the network from this computer excel works fine.
Only for a particular user logins it gives this error message,

Thankyou for your help.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Try starting Excel in safe mode. Goto the Start menu, and select Run. Browse to find your Excel executable file (usually located at C:\ProgramFiles\MsOffice\Excel\Excel.exe). Place a "/s" at the end of the file name, and click okay. Your run command should look similar to this (just different version)

C:\ProgramFiles\MSOffice\Office97\Excel\Excel.exe /s

If it does load in Safe Mode, then check any workbooks or add-ins that are loaded by Excel in the user's profile, and see if they are causing the problem.

Upvote 0
I can go in to the safe mode and got the option of adds in by going in to the tools section on menu bar.
Users profile is nothin but the profiles under windows -profiles.
where can I find whether any workbooks have been loaded.

Thankyou.

Upvote 0
Okay, goto Tools|Add-ins and see what add-ins are selected/checked. Make a note of the names, and then try and open each of these add-ins manually. Also check to see if the user has a "Personal" workbook or anything else in their Excel startup folder. You can find the location for this folder in Options.

Try opening each of these workbooks manually and see if one of them causes Excel to crash.

I feel pretty safe that a workbook that is being loaded when Excel starts is what is causing your error.

Upvote 0
Hi, I checked addins and there were none checked.
There were no files in the startup folder(xlstart) under profiles.
I cannot open any excel file.
In c:\programfiles\microsoftoffice\ofiice\xlstart in which there is a file called pdfmaker.xla.
if this same user logins another system then she can open excel.
It is the only computer which has pdf maker and does not allow this user to open excel.
When I login in to the system I can open the excel, so I opened the pdfmaker.xla and it said that it had macros, I disabled them.
Please help.

Upvote 0
Okay, if the add-in "pdfmaker.xla" is located in the startup folder, then Excel will load it when it starts. I think this add-in might be causing your problems.

Upvote 0
Hi, before doing what you suggested me, I was also searching the net and found out that replacing .xlb files from the orginal location to the desktop. I did that and it started working normally.
As you said it is risky to touch the register, I did not try it.

Thankyou very much for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back