Excel calculation monopolizes processor

hmmm...

Board Regular
I have a big workbook. Full calculation takes a couple of hours. That would be OK with me except that during the calculations Excel takes (according to the Task Manager) 99% of the processor's capacity, and the computer is useless for anything else. I cannot even stop the calculation with the Escape key--it just ignores me until it's done.

Isn't Windows supposed to multitask? I do have Excel's calculation option set to Manual, and when appropriate I do calculate one worksheet at a time. The machine has more memory (1 Gb) than Excel uses. So the problem seems to be the way Excel uses the processor. I tried setting Excel's "Priority" in the Task Mananger to "Low". But this didnt' help. Any ideas on how to work with this other than to buy a second computer and let Excel use one on its own?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Probably not your problem, but worth mentioning.
You don't say which version of Windows you are using, but I have seen a problem with (I think) 95 or 98 that it can only handle up to 512mb. RAM after which it slows down.

I have Excel 97 and 200 running with no problems on my 2 gigahertz/512mb/XP machine and 2000 seems to run slower than 97.

Excel has its own internal memory manager. 97 handles up to 180mb. 2000 is more.

Sometimes Ctrl + Break keys will stop calculation. Try to avoid =VLOOKUP()(), this one's pig on big worksheets.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
BrianB, thanks for the reply.

I am running Excel 2002 on a 2 GHz/1 Gb mem/Win2000 machine. I upgraded to Excel 2002 recently because it manages more memory than Excel 2000 does. 2002 does indeed work faster, but this problem of processor-hogging, anti-multitask, unstoppable calculation remains. I'll give Ctrl+Break keys a try to stop it.

Meanwhile, MS tech support says that next week they will give me a response about this issue and whether there's any way to deal with it. I'll pass it along to this thread if it seems useful.

Upvote 0
Hi,

When running tasks that require lot of memory and lot of CPU-power then Windows is not capable of deliver true multitasking.

(Except for that one CPU can only handle one instruction per cycletime)

Unless You want to use 2 x CPU and at least with 1 GB RAM then I believe You have to accept the way it is.

BTW, I had the pleasure of running a "well-equipped" workstation last week with 2 x P4 2,53 Ghz and with 2 GB RAM. Starting Win XP Pro was impressive fast :wink:

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Hi XL-Dennis,

So on a machine with 2 processors, can I limit Excel to using just one of the processors?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,

By having 2 CPUs Windows is capable of allocation process-time that is required for different task.

The allocation is (AFAIk) controled by windows.

But yes - You can do other stuff while large XL-files are processed :D

Personally I use two computer with one keyboard and mouse via a switcher and with two screens.

One that is used for handling long execution of large XL-files (60 - 90 MB) (the old computer) and the other one for all the other work (the new computer).

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Dennis--Thanks again for the information. I hadn't seriously considered giving Excel its own computer, but now that you suggest it, it seems very practical--scrounging up an old machine is a lot easier than trying to obtain a dual processor.

--Arthur

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back