Excel Artificial Intelligence With Ideas - 2260

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Feb 28, 2019.
Find interesting trends in your Excel data using the new artificial intelligence feature called Ideas.
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel podcast, episode 2260. Artificial Intelligence with ideas.
Hey welcome back to the MrExcel netcast. I’m Bill Jelen.
Here’s a trivia question for you.
Here in the home tab in Excel, when was the last time they added a feature to the home tab?
Right on February of 2019, it’s been 12 years, 0 months, 29 days because January 30th 2007 is the last time they added anything, and I think that was data bar, colored scales, icons that’s added to the home tab.
Everyone on the Excel team creates new features says, “Hey this is worthy of the home tab, we finally have something”.
They added to the far right-hand side of the home tab and it’s called ideas.
Now originally, there’s another video out there where this was called insights and was back in the insert tab or the data tab but they renamed it ideas and they promoted it.
So here I have a data set, your data set can be up to 250,000 rows and I want to find interesting things about this data set.
So I come here, select one set of the data, helps if your data has dates and click ideas.
And what happens is, an artificial intelligence service is going to try and find this now. Service.
That’s an important word because that means it will not be in Excel 2016, it will not be in Excel 2019, you have to be an Office 365 subscriber to get this service. Alright.
And then initially what we’re going to do out here, they’re going show you 3 or 4 charts.
And my general rule here is any of the charts that are blue, blue stands for boring.
These are things we could have gotten for recommended pivot tables or recommended charts.
But down here at the bottom it show all 35 results.
And I think they show you these boring results in order to get the time to come up with these other results in the background.
Once you get down in the orange ones, then you get to start to things that are truly insightful.
And let’s see, here’s one where we have a single, maximum point or let’s find the—oh this one with the outliers.
Now, to make the machine learning better, what you’re supposed to do, and no one’s going to do this for all 35, we don’t have time. Is this helpful? No. Alright. And that’s now I voted.
So hopefully, we’ll get less of those. But my one vote doesn’t matter.
I need a million people to go out there and vote. The one I really like here is this outlier one. I love the outliers.
Alright, so is this helpful? Yes, this is helpful.
And then if I find something that’s actually useful, I can insert a pivot chart and they’ll give me a full size version of that chart along with the pivot table to make it all work which is awesome, right.
You don’t have to know how to create pivot tables or pivot charts or even just how to find anything in Excel. Now, here’s the awesome thing.
These are all the things that’s looking for. So rank even this trend.
Some of these are words I had to look up.
I don’t even know how to pronounce it where it’s always increasing or always decreasing or having a single peak data point.
If you have a smaller data site, they’ll just give you chart recommendations. Alright.
So check out the brand new artificial intelligence ideas feature on the right side of the home tab.
Well hey, I want to thank you for stopping by.
We’ll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Penapensil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back