excel-access link on different paths

walleboo

hello,

I have an excel file with multiple queries all linked to the same access database so they're all using one connection. The link between the 2 files is stable and works just fine, both the excel and the access files are on the same PC.

Now if I want to use the files and their links on a different PC the paths of the location where the 2 files are going to be stored are inevitably different so the connection will not work and neither will the queries.

The queries are a lot, probably over 100, is there a way to migrate the links to a new path all at once?

Thank you very much for any help

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
If you have a Broadband Router and have multiple connection slots then it is possible. The PC folder, where the Excel file is located, can be enabled for sharing with the other PC. Map the shared folder of the first pc like a network address: \\firstpcname\foldername on the second pc with a network Drive letter say T:. Using this address you can link the excel file on the second PC based Access Database.

It is better if you use the full network address (\\firstpcname\foldername\Excelfilename.xls) for linking the file rather than using the drive letter T. If you change the network mapping drive T: to something else later, the Link will not affect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thank you, that is a good advice. something I will definitely bear in mind if I do this kind of work again.
unfortunately I wasn't forward thinking. however the files should be used locally on the machine possibly on the go. This, I guess, means that the paths will have to be changed

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brainsanquine

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back