Excel '97 + Pivot Table Chart

kojak43

I have months of Lottery sales data by market and county.
We are trying to create a chart from a pivot table. We show the sales for each game (Scratch-off, Play 4, Lotto etc) by county as a subset of market.

When we create the chart, it only shows the titles of the counties. The markets are excluded. Is there anyway to include the market titles?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
In the absence of other replies :-

It looks like you have not set up your data table correctly. I guess column headings should be something like :-

Market ___County____Scratch-off_____Play 4_____Lotto

Upvote 0
Brian, that is how it looks as a pivot table report. When I make a chart, I hide all but one of the games, i.e. lotto, then ask for a chart to be made. It shows the chart for all the counties for the one game. What it does not show are the markets, below the counties. I want the markets to appear on the same axis as the counties.

Upvote 0
I use pivot tables a lot and generally find that, however well they do their basic job, the best way of handling the output is to transfer data to another formatted sheet.

A good way of doing this is to use =VLOOKUP() with the range referring to columns without row numbers - because pivot tables data positions can vary. In this case in this case you can set up the data grid for your table and transfer the numbers. eg :-

=VLOOKUP(A1,PivotSheet!$A:$D,2,FALSE)

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian, I am sure it would help if I was not such a newby.

What I did was copied your code. I inserted a new sheet into the workbook. I placed your formula in A1 of the new worksheet, Changed 'Pivot Table' to 'Sheet7' (that is where the pivot table showing Market, County & Lotto lives) However it is really A-B-H (I have hidden columns c-d-e-f-g as they are different games). I tried it with A:C: as well as A:H. No joy. I get a blue diamond and a 0 in A1 of the new sheet.

Sorry to be so dense.
k

Upvote 0
You are not using =VLOOKUP() correctly. A1 in the formula is the where value is that the formula is looking for.

Look up VLOOKUP in Excel help.

Upvote 0
I went to Excel's Help. That is going to be a tough road. I do have Mr Excel ON EXCEL and will see if I can figure out how to get vlookup to work.

I went back to the Pivot Table. I changed the size of the paper to 17 x 11 and it worked. My markets are listed below all 67 counties.

In fact I then grouped the dates by month and produced a line chart by market, by county showing a line/sales bullet for each month of Jan, Feb and Mar 2003. It looked great!

I still can't wipe this silly grin off my face.

Thanks for your guidance. I will try to get vlookup to work.

k

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back