Excel 2013 - Charting more than 255 Data Series

lneidorf

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there.

I have a two-dimensional table that I'm trying to turn into a line chart. The issue I am running into is that I have more than 255 Data Series, which is an Excel limitation.

In column A, there are 600+ Billcode values. These are my data series.

Across the top of my table, in Row 1, are Month1 through Month93. These should be the X axis of my chart.

Cells B2:CP600 contain monthly invoice values.

Additionally, I have two columns with additional data meant to help break this data up. Column CQ ("A to Z") contains values that break up my billcodes into three chunks of less than 255 rows (A-G; H-O; P-Z). I also have column CR ("Project Length") that contains the relative duration of the Billcodes in each row (0 to 1 years; 1 to 2 years; etc.). This is another way to break up my data into chunks of less than 255 rows.

With that, I've tried several approaches. I've found that PivotCharts are subject to the same limitations, so that's not an option. I've converted my data to a Table and tried applying filters, but not surprisingly, it appears Excel is recognizing the entire contents and not just the filtered selection.

I've lately been trying to create a dynamic named range and use that in conjunction with the autofilter as a basis for the chart, but have been struggling with this as well.

Any suggestions on an elegant, interactive way to break this data set up into bite-sized chunks that Excel can handle? Ideally, I'll be able to have a polished product that will allow the user to use an AutoFilter, Slicers, or even a ComboBox form control to see this data broken up into parts.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back