Ever reply to a SpamScam?

Smitty

Legend
Since we were talking about mean things to do to telemarketers in another post, I got bored and decided to respond to one of those SpamScam's today, as it was actually pretty well written:

Oh my god!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Really, me?<o:p></o:p>
Never in all my days here in Pahrump, Nevada, did I think such a thing could happen to me!<o:p></o:p>
I would love to help you out, and Pahrump is lovely in July. We even have an airport, but I doubt you can get a direct flight from Bangcock, maybe Tulsa, but not Bangcock.<o:p></o:p>
Yew can stay with us if you want, provided yew don't mind dogs (or kidz).<o:p></o:p>
I'd be happy to let yew present me as next of kin, as mine's all ded, that's why the dogs. They keep me compny.<o:p></o:p>
I'm honest and hard werkin, that is, since I got laid off from the gypsum mine, it's used to make drywall, they've got that in Bancock don't they? And I could use the money cuz of the mesotheliayomama I got down there.<o:p></o:p>
Yew just let me know. I'll even have my cousing come pick you up at the airport, or we do have a Trailways bus stop.<o:p></o:p>
If yew don't want to stay at the trailer wif us, I can talk to Johnny down at the motel and he'll fix yew up good with a rrom.<o:p></o:p>
Looking forward to your visit, dumbass.<o:p></o:p>
-----Original Message-----
From: Barrister John Williams [mailto:barrjohn@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:26 AM
Subject: Barrister John Williams

From The Desk Of Barrister John Williams<o:p></o:p>
John & Associate Chambers<o:p></o:p>
37 Sathorn Tai Road, <o:p></o:p>
Bangkok Thailand <o:p></o:p>
Email: barrjohnwilliams_bangkok@yahoo.com.hk<o:p></o:p>
Dear Sir/Madam,<o:p></o:p>
Please kindly accept my apology for sending unsolicited mail to you I believe you are a highly respected personality considering the fact that I sourced your profile from a human resource profile database on your country. Though, I do not know to what extent you are familiar with events.<o:p></o:p>
I am Barrister John Williams, a Solicitor. I am the Personal Attorney to Mr.Steve Anderson, who used to work with Siamrak Company Limited. On the 21st of April 2003, his wife and their three children were involved in a car accident along Sukhumvit Express Road. <o:p></o:p>
Unfortunately, they all lost their lives in the event of the accident. Since then I have made several enquiries to your Embassy to locate any of my client's relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful. After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his relatives over the Internet to locate any member of his family but to no avail, hence, I contacted you to assist in repatriating the money left behind by my client in a Finance Company, Particularly, the Finance House where the deceased deposited the US$15 Million (Fifteen Million United States Dollars only).<o:p></o:p>
Consequently, this Finance House issued me a notice to provide the Next of Kin to claim the US$15 Million (Fifteen Million United States Dollars only) in their custody within the next ten official working days. Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 4 years now, I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased to claim the fund as the Next of Kin to him so that the fund will be transferred to your account by the Finance House.<o:p></o:p>
Upon receipt of the fund, I will come over to your country to meet with you for the disbursement of the fund and then you and I will share the money in this order: 50% will be for me, 40% will be for you.While 10% is for execution of the fund incase of any expenses you encountered during the process of the fund into your account. I have all the necessary legal documents that can back our claim we will make with the Finance House.<o:p></o:p>
All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us seeing this deal through. I guarantee you that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. <o:p></o:p>
You are needed as a next of kin to inherit your brother left fund <o:p></o:p>
Best Regards . <o:p></o:p>
Barrister John Williams (Esq).

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Re: Ever reply to an SpamScam?

50% - chancer!!!

Is this just legalese, a typo or has Mr Williams Esq forgot that he didn't find any relatives?:eek:

Re: Ever reply to an SpamScam?

I'm personally looking forward to having Mr. Williams for dinner (with a nice chianti and some fava beans). ;)

Classic!

I did something like that a few years back. I got something in the mail in a manilla envelope marked "Express Mail" with the word "URGENT" in big red type right on the front. Curious, I opened it up to discover a credit card offer. I was hoppin' mad! Its bad enough that they waste my time, but don't start trying to toy with my emotions!

Then I remembered a George Carlin bit where he talked about sending his trash to companies that send you junk mail with pre-paid envelopes in them. So I took another credit card offer from a totally different company (left it totally blank), stuffed it in the pre-paid envelope, wrote URGENT all over it in red marker, and dropped it in the mail. You waste my time, I'll waste your time and money!

Classic!

I did something like that a few years back. I got something in the mail in a manilla envelope marked "Express Mail" with the word "URGENT" in big red type right on the front. Curious, I opened it up to discover a credit card offer. I was hoppin' mad! Its bad enough that they waste my time, but don't start trying to toy with my emotions!

Then I remembered a George Carlin bit where he talked about sending his trash to companies that send you junk mail with pre-paid envelopes in them. So I took another credit card offer from a totally different company (left it totally blank), stuffed it in the pre-paid envelope, wrote URGENT all over it in red marker, and dropped it in the mail. You waste my time, I'll waste your time and money!

****! I threw away the envelope for an offer from www.brookwoodloans.com (Meta Bank, Sioux Falls, SD - ) which offered me a loan from $500 to $3,000...

Wait for it....

LOANS HAVE AN APR OF 96%

No, that's not 9.6, it's 96 (I even checked the back thinking it was a typo).

And you'll get your decision within 24 hours. I'm stoked!

Obviously I went for it...Where's that **** envelope?

Now if anyone doesn't know why a lot of Delaware (easy to incorporate in) based companies (that happen to host credit cards as well) are also based in South Dakota is that during the 70's, SD figured it could attract a lot of business by dropping restrictions on the limits (interest) that credit card companies could charge.

I think I'm going to call right now. Just to have some fun, as it's Friday night and I'm the only one in the house not sick with spring flu...

Only 96% interest rate? What a bargain! Reminds me of the good fellows who give personal loans through text messaging. Rates were at least in the three digits range. Since they do not reach whatever threshold is required for the finance inspection to monitor them, they are essentially unregulated. Of course once the media got whif of it the biggest SMS-lenders went together to form some sort of industry board to "regulate" their business so that the government wouldn't be forced to put effort into regulations (which was demanded by the public). So now they won't lend money after, if it was 23:00 or something (so drunk people in the bar can't use it basically) and other such sillyness. However, no action has been taken to solve the problem that by "borrowing" someone else's phone I can have the money sent to me and they are stuck with the "loan". Provided I make sure that the account can't be traced to me I suppose. Though that wouldn't be a problem until the fraud investigation to follow. Which will take some time to get under way.

Oh yeah, and I haven't replied to spam. Essentially replying tells them your e-mail address actually goes somewhere, and thus needs to be SPAMed some more.

Last edited:
Essentially replying tells them your e-mail address actually goes somewhere, and thus needs to be SPAMed some more.

Yeah, otherwise I would do it a lot more. I am sometimes tempted, but really don't want to let them know I am a person.

Yeah, otherwise I would do it a lot more. I am sometimes tempted, but really don't want to let them know I am a person.

Well, create a spam account, or one that the spammers have already found and allow them to crayon over it, leaving your important email address free.

I have 5 - 6 email accounts for differing things, I have one for e-mails I want to send to people (job applications etc, ) one for shopping - someone has sold my email address on and I'm getting about 1 spam email a week, one for writing on forums like this.

When the spam gets too much, I just move on and let that account quietly die...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back