European Union

Glaswegian

Now that the tone has been set..........

Us Brits are always very wary of edicts that come from the EU, so this seems approriate...

"The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of negotiations, her Majesty Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will reseive this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always been a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgraful, and they would go.

By the forth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trobls or difikultis and evrivum vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru."

:lol:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
U haf bn vry, vry bad! :-P

So vil ve haf to replase de Euro as kurency?

That makes me want to pull out "Young FronkenSTEEN" again! :-P

Zmitty

It's a frightening thought.
They could well even insist on correct grammar, which might cause Glaswegian some problems.

i didnt think i had any problems with my grammar however my spelling can be a bit dodgy sometimes but not always only when i type very quickly which is not often of course instead i just try to tipe more slower and not so faster that i make mistakes lots of times so i dont beleave this to being a major problem thanks

Glaswegian said:
i didnt think i had any problems with my grammar

Which is why I think you will have problems.
(I'm not referring to "typos")

I was hoping that I had used a pinch of sarcasm in my previous post, but, perhaps I did not.

I will increase my efforts in future.

Ponsy, thank you for your interest.

Yes, I noted your sarcasm with much admiration.
But where is your grammatical slip (or should that be "Der Fehler") ?

With the large number of ever more ridiculous rules pouring forth from the EU, anything is possible. Even a ban on sarcasm! :laugh: There was even an attempt at declaring the correct shape of a banana! :roll:

No sign of the Euro yet, but you never know what the future holds.

Maybe we should return to bartering - I'm sure that would be more fun!

I think that us would probably enjoy it (the bartering I mean).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rokcmd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back