Error opening Microsoft Access..

Swamp Thing

"Can't open Microsoft Jet Engine Workgroup Information File"

This error comes up on one machine at work : Win2k, Office2k whenever we try to start Access.

It's the same whether we try to open an existing file or a new one. Tried repairing and reinstalling Access but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
S.T.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Does another person logged on to that PC get the same error? Can that user log onto another PC an have Access work? If so there may be something wrong (corrupted) in his profile on the PC. Delete his profile, AFTER saving all of the data he needs(including internet bookmarks and cookies, these get overlook often). If deleting his profile is not an option, I do not have another ideal yet.

GoodLuck, Dave,,

Upvote 0
All users have the same problem, including Admin. BTW, the problem is only with starting Access; other applications (MS-Query etc) can still pull data from Access databases.

Upvote 0
I did a check On the MSDN site with your error message and did not come up with much (other then there is a file, System.mdb, that stores workgroup and other security info). My guess and only a guess, is that if this file is currupt, the ACCESS uninstall does not remove this file and when you reinstall access, it looks at the same "bad' file. Maybe try to uninstall Access then look for this file and remove it before you reinstall Access.Like I said this is only a guess and I dont know what problems it may cause. Perhaps you could check out the MSDN site some more for other clues.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info... I will check out the MSDN pages and then try renaming the file before re-installing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back