Error Opening Excel File with External Data from Access

cmeium

Hi everyone, I did a few searches on this but didn't find anything, so hopefully you can give me a hand.

I have an Excel file that is pulling data in from Access queries and when I open the file, I don't see any issues. The links seem to work and if I change the data going into the query, I see that replicated in the Excel file. So I'm thinking everything looks good.

I talked to a co-worker and when they open the same Excel file, they receive errors relating to "....link.accdb is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides." and then after closing that error out, get another box that pops up asking to "Please Enter Microsoft Access Database Enginer OLE DB Initialization Information"

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I have a master Excel file that I'm using to create the Access queries, which essentially breaks the info down to individuals and then I'm trying to pull that query info into a second Excel file for each individual.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing or why I don't see this error by my co-workers do?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Look like your Excel file is looking for your access file in the same location and it is not able to find it.

If you made a reference to your access file like "C:\folder\folder\filename.accdb" then it will expect the file to be in the same folder for your coworkers computer.

Upvote 0
All of the files are stored in a Dropbox folder that everyone has access to, would that still be causing the problem? Also is there a way to pull that data from Access without it trying to search only on my computer?

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
You will need to open your VBA code so that we can figure out exactly how the reference to the file was made. Post your VBA code if you need further help.

Upvote 0
I haven't done anything in VBA though. In my final Excel sheet, I just used the option to get External Data from Access, Access Database, the queries I wanted to bring into Excel and it brought them in as tables. I then changed the connection properties to so that the connection would refresh upon opening the Excel file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back