Error message when importing excel table

mohemmedomer

I have been trying to import an excel table of over 281,000 rows and 92 columns to a fresh Access db. No matter what I do to achieve this, I end up seeing "The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist". I thought it's due to memory problems and so freed up 8 GB from my desktop. The issue still remains. I have been using Windows 8. The Access and Excel are of the 2013 version (32-bit). Please help.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
While I don't really know what the problem might be here are a couple of things I would try:

1. Import only a couple of records: If you still get the error it might be the sheer amount of data can't be transferred on a 32-bit version.
2. Import only a couple of fields: if you still get the error it might be that maybe one of your columns isn't named right or some how causing conflicts....or the sheer amount of data can't be transferred on a 32-bit version.
3. Try to make the excel document a linked table. Setup ab append query that writes from the linked table to your access table.
4. You can copy and paste data from excel to access. Might be best to do it one field at a time but with 92 fields i can see why that wouldn't be ideal.
5. Here's a support article form Microsoft that references that error. Doesn't sound exactly like your problem but you never know what might just work: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/926700

Upvote 0
You are breaking the MS Access 2GB limit on maximum size of a database ... 281,000 * 92 (IF only 1 byte per field) = 2.5 GB !!!

Using a quick educated guess, with 92 columns you are likely only be able to store 10K to 50K rows in a single DB ... more numerics and Text(5) code fields allow for more data, obviously

But the total size is your problem

Solution ...

Create the table in SQL Server or the like
Link the SQL table to Access
Link the Excel spreadsheet to Access
Create a new query and click on Pass-Through in the Ribbon
Write an INSERT SQL to load the rows from the Excel table into SQL table

Hope this helps
Art

Upvote 0
I agree - it's less than 1 GB (0.02407655)
Perhaps more information about how the import is being done; e.g. Get External Data from the ribbon? VBA? Since poster is starting with a new db, I doubt there is duplicate name issue as per the link, but then again, maybe it's being done to a db that already has some objects in it, and there is a name conflict. I realize error messages are not always accurate, but this one sounds like a reference is not valid, thus my assumption that the import is by query or code. Either of these could result in referencing something that does not exist, or does but is not open. It could be a simple spelling mistake or maybe even missing quotes. I really think there's not enough information about the method that was used and when the message is generated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zack_ken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back