Enter time in m:ss.00 format with no colons

rossbritton26

Hi,

I have a sheet where i enter lots of times in the format m:ss.00. I would like to be able to enter these times without the punctuation, i.e. mss00 but still display in format m:ss.00. I'm guessing there is a vba way of doing this (fingers crossed).

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Ross

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Thanks,
That kind of helps, however, i'm still unsure of how to get it to work with minutes, seconds and milliseconds rather than hours and minutes??

Ross.

Upvote 0
Hi, rossbritton26.
Try this code
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If Len(Target.Value) = 5 And IsNumeric(Target.Value) Then
        Target.Value = Format(Left$(Target.Text, 1) & ":" & Mid$(Target.Text, 2, 2) & "." & Right$(Target.Text, 2), "@")
    End If
End Sub

Note that I've converted the number to text in m:ss.00 format because when I've specified the format to be "mm:ss.00", it was unavailable to convert it successfully. I'm unsure of the reason.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help,

that code appears to work,

i tried entering times into column a, worked fine for rows 1:3 but for some reason stopped working from 4:6 then started working again??

How would i get it to display all five digits as it currently only displays the first four?? And would it be possible to only input four numbers, i.e seconds and milliseconds??

Thanks again,
Ross

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help,

that code appears to work,

i tried entering times into column a, worked fine for rows 1:3 but for some reason stopped working from 4:6 then started working again??

Hi, rossbritton.
If you're getting unknown results like "0:0...0" or anything like that you have format your cells as TEXT as it appeared to have worked like that on my spreadsheet.

How would i get it to display all five digits as it currently only displays the first four??

Get back after you've formatted the cells as Text.

And would it be possible to only input four numbers, i.e seconds and milliseconds??

Thanks again,
Ross

It is, and here is the code to do so
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If IsNumeric(Target.Value) Then
        Select Case Len(Target.Value)
        Case 4
            Target.Value = Format(Left$(Target.Text, 2) & "." & Right$(Target.Text, 2), "@")
        Case 5
            Target.Value = Format(Left$(Target.Text, 1) & ":" & Mid$(Target.Text, 2, 2) & "." & Right$(Target.Text, 2), "@")
        End Select
    End If
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Also note that it does not recognize whether the time is out of range such as 5:61.30

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back