Enter Parameter Value

Dana5535

I have built an Access database with serveral forms, reports, queries and tables. On one of my reports, I just updated the balance field to be calculated. Instead of having just a balance field. I changed it to a Sum of Balance. Sum of Balance:[Bills].[BillAmount]-[Bills].[Offsets]-[Bills].[PostedAmount]. I also now have a column in the query that supplies the report with the same formula. It calculates okay, but now when I run the report, I get the Enter Parameter Value box for Balance. I have changed the properties in the report so they all are now the Sum of Balance not the Balance as the data source. Wondering why I am getting the Enter Parameter box??

Thanks!

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Access shows that error when it doesn't know what to do with what you have defined for a field.

Check to make sure that all the fields in the calculation exist in your tables and are designated correctly.

Without seeing the definition of the Balance field in the report, we can't say what the error is. Post your query SQL and it'll be easier to diagnose.

Upvote 0
Access shows that error when it doesn't know what to do with what you have defined for a field.

Check to make sure that all the fields in the calculation exist in your tables and are designated correctly.

Without seeing the definition of the Balance field in the report, we can't say what the error is. Post your query SQL and it'll be easier to diagnose.

Here is the SQL View

SELECT Customers.Customer, Customers.DoDAAC, Customers.Name1, Customers.[c/oname], Customers.Region, Bills.BillDate, Bills.BillNumber, Bills.BillAmount, Bills.EBSOffsets, Bills.Adjustments, Bills.PostedAmount, [Bills].[BillAmount]-[Bills].[EBSOffsets]-[Bills].[Adjustments]-[Bills].[PostedAmount] AS [Sum of Balance]
FROM Bills INNER JOIN Customers ON Bills.DODAAC = Customers.DoDAAC
WHERE (((Bills.BillDate) Between [Enter Start Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)] And [Enter End Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)]))
ORDER BY Customers.Customer, Bills.BillDate;

When I run just he query it works fine, its when I run the report that is fed by the query when I have the problem.

Thanks,

PS I am kind of new so simple works best for me!!!!

Upvote 0
Hi,
there are parameters in the query so that is why you get the enter parameter messages:

Code:
SELECT Customers.Customer, Customers.DoDAAC, Customers.Name1, Customers.[c/oname], Customers.Region, Bills.BillDate, Bills.BillNumber, Bills.BillAmount, Bills.EBSOffsets, Bills.Adjustments, Bills.PostedAmount, [Bills].[BillAmount]-[Bills].[EBSOffsets]-[Bills].[Adjustments]-[Bills].[PostedAmount] AS [Sum of Balance]
WHERE (((Bills.BillDate) Between [COLOR="#FF0000"][B][Enter Start Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)][/B][/COLOR] And [B][COLOR="#FF0000"][Enter End Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)][/COLOR][/B]))

What was your intention with regard to these parameters? How do you want it to work now?

Upvote 0
The intention of the query is to return a set of bills by the bill date, within a speficied date range. I replaced the Balanace with a Sum of Balance, so that wnen a collection was entered, the Balance would update. This seems to work fine when running the query, but when I run the report that is driven by the query, I get the Enter Parameter Value box for the Balance. It appears that there is something that I need to update in the report, but not sure what.

Upvote 0
The problem is that you need to provide dates. That's what I mean by asking what your intention is in regard to the parameters - in the query, you provides dates as parameters. How do you want to provide dates for the report? They are currently parameters in your query. As it stands, you should just enter the beginning and ending dates when the message boxes pop up. Do you want to do something else?

Upvote 0
I do provide dates. When I run the report, it asks for a beginning and ending date range. I enter both dates, when the report opens, I first get the Enter Parameter Value box for the Balance. Once I click on it the report opens, however I would rather I don't get the Enter Parameter Value box.

I wanted to attach a sample screen prints but don't see how to do it.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
The answer is simple enough: just remove the parameters from the query:

Original Query:
Code:
[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]WHERE (((Bills.BillDate) Between [Enter Start Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)] And [Enter End Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)]))[/B][/COLOR]

Amend to:
Code:

Just realize that now there is no date filter on the query anymore.

Upvote 0
Forgive my ignorance but how woud taking the parameter off the dates, affect the parameter for the balance?

Upvote 0
My only concern would be if the report is correct without dates to filter the data. But I can't answer that, really - whatever reason the parameters were created for in the first place - that reason either still exists or doesn't matter anymore.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bosvinn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back