Enhancing Search Functionality in Excel Database

IMaadh

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My name is IMaadh,

I’ve created an Excel sheet that functions as a searchable database. Currently, I can search for any single entry within the table, but I want to enhance it to search for details in two cells simultaneously.

Example:

Table headings: Staff Number, Username, Location

Staff NumberUsernameLocation
1234imaadhFinance
4567AlasHead Office

Using the existing setup, searching for "imaadh" displays: [1234, imaadh, Finance]. I now want to be able to search for "Finance, Head Office" and get results that show both entries.

Below are the formulas I’ve implemented:

Table Name: INV_Report
Sheet Name: Search Engines

Woqod_Advance_Search_2:
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(INV_Report, NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH(Woqod_Search_Bar_2, Woqod_Details_Collection))), "")

Woqod_Details_Collection:
Excel Formula:
=CONCATENATE(
  INV_Report[Type], "*", INV_Report[STAFF NUMBER], "*", 
  INV_Report[USERNAME], "*", INV_Report[DEPARTMENT], "*", 
  INV_Report[LOCATION], "*", INV_Report[PC NUMBER], "*", 
  INV_Report[BRAND], "*", INV_Report[MODEL], "*", 
  INV_Report[DEVICE SERIAL No.], "*", INV_Report[OPERATING SYSTEM], "*", 
  INV_Report[DISPLAY SIZE], "*", INV_Report[DISPLAY SERIAL No.], "*", 
  INV_Report[TICKET No.], "*", INV_Report[DOCKING STATION], "*", 
  INV_Report[ASSET TYPE / OWNER], "*", INV_Report[DELIVERY], "*", 
  INV_Report[REMARKS]
)

Woqod_Search_Bar_2:
Excel Formula:
='Search Engines'!$H$4

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I think you are close. If you can assume that the items in the search area will always be separated with a comma and a space, you can change the search formula to
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(INV_Report, NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH(TEXTSPLIT(Woqod_Search_Bar_2, , ", "), Woqod_Details_Collection))), "")

Also, not a big deal, but you may find it easier to use the Concat function instead of Concatenate (which Concat was introduced to replace).

Upvote 0
I think you are close. If you can assume that the items in the search area will always be separated with a comma and a space, you can change the search formula to
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(INV_Report, NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH(TEXTSPLIT(Woqod_Search_Bar_2, , ", "), Woqod_Details_Collection))), "")

Also, not a big deal, but you may find it easier to use the Concat function instead of Concatenate (which Concat was introduced to replace).

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it. I have tried earlier, but it didn't work, perhaps I did something wrong. To make it easier, I have shared a demo file with the codes. Could you kindly look into that?

Download Demo File

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it. I have tried earlier, but it didn't work, perhaps I did something wrong. To make it easier, I have shared a demo file with the codes. Could you kindly look into that?

Download Demo File
Sorry, I really try to avoid downloading files behind a link shortener. If you're more specific with what error or result you are getting I can try to help further.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I really try to avoid downloading files behind a link shortener. If you're more specific with what error or result you are getting I can try to help further.
Since you have avoided downloading the document, I strongly prefer that you create a document using the formula below. I believe this is the best way to quickly find a solution. Please don't take this the wrong way; I know we both have work to do, and I appreciate your kindness in helping me.

Table Name: INV_Report

Formular:-

One
Excel Formula:
=CONCATENATE(INV_Report[Username], "*", INV_Report[Staff Number], "*", INV_Report[Department], "*", INV_Report[Location])

Two
Excel Formula:
=Search!$H$4

Three
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(INV_Report,NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH(Woqod_Search_Bar_2,Woqod_Details_Collection))),"")

Image 1 - Demo Table + Search Bar

Image 2 - Single Search “alas” Results OK

Image 3 - I need to Search with space or without multiple values.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image002.png
    image002.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image003.png
    image003.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back