Enforcing uniqueness of Primary Key with Foreign Key

Blue Hornet

Board Regular
Hi, and thanks for your attention.

I'd like to show what I want by example. Let's say I have two tables:
tblState, consisting of Autonumber (Key field) and State (required, no dups)
and
tblTown, which is made of Autonumber (Key field), StateID (lookup into tblState, required), and Town (required, DUPS ALLOWED--because a town name can exist in several states).

How can I enforce uniqueness of the Town & State combination without making Town a unique field in its own table AND without making Town either the Primary Key OR any part of it? (The reason I don't want there to be a multi-field Key is that it makes expandable queries difficult or impossible, and I want the application to work within forms based on queries.)

Does that make sense? Is there something simple that I'm overlooking?

Thanks again,
Chris

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
I guess you could try building a query with [State] & " " & [Town] as a calculated field.
When creating or editing a record, you can use the BeforeUpdate event of the form to check whether the combination exists already. If so, cancel the update and display a warning message, taking the user back to Town so they can try again.

A bit vague because I'm not in front of a Access machine at the moment, but it provides a possible solution.

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis,

Many thanks for your reply, but I had already been trying along those lines, and without success. But I finally got my answer, in the first pages of Helen Feddema's Expert One-on-One Microsoft Access. She told me something that you may have already understood, but I had no idea about.

I got the book last night, and in the first chapter she mentioned that the use of Lookup Wizard fields (defining a table's Foreign Key field as a lookup into another table's Primary Key, for the benefit of any other readers who don't know already) is actually counter-productive to higher level development. And here I thought that this was a great feature that should be used as much as possible! Who knew!?

Well, I redefined my tables to include the Foreign Key / Primary Key links I already knew that I wanted, but performed the linkages in the Relationships table and by specific lookups in forms (as I think you had already alluded to, and which I have picked up from prior postings). What I had never understood was that the "Lookup Wizard" was actually harming my ability to make the queries I wanted. Within a few minutes of reading what she said, I had revised the Table Definitions, and manually linked the tables in the Relationships view. I didn't even have to modify any form fields, since the only linkages I wanted were Form / SubForm, where the key fields don't even need to be displayed. I did explicitly check and update the Form / SubForm linkages, though.

The multi-field Key field definitions are no problem at all, and never should have been. The queries are properly updatable / expandable, just like I wanted.

The upshot of it was that within an hour and a half of opening the book, I had all of my earlier questions answered, my queries and forms working just right ... so far ... and I can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks again,
Chris

Upvote 0
Chris,

Yep, that's one of the classic traps that everyone falls into. One of Access's NON-features, I guess. And they usually point people towards Lookup fields in training courses... :rolleyes: BTW, Ive got that book too and it's got heaps of useful stuff.

Cheers
Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragananthony7911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back