Embedding Images

Domenic

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got a Macintosh computer and therefore not able to use Colo's HTML Maker. However, there are times when I'd like to embed an image, such as a JPG or GIF file, when I contribute to a discussion. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

I've tried embedding both a JPG and a GIF file but both times, while I was able to view the image using my Safari browser, I was unable to do so using Internet Explorer and Netscape. Same thing with a Windows-based computer.

The file is originally created using a screenshot in PDF format. It's then converted to JPG or GIF in one of two ways. Either by simply changing the extension to JPG or GIF, or by using a program called Preview, which allows me to export the file in JPG format. Unfortunately, neither method seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas why these images can't be viewed by others?

The only thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is that perhaps you haven't uploaded the file to the internet somewhere? I know that some people try to just link to the image off of their C drive, for example it will show up for them but not on the board.

Unfortunately, I'm not Mac proficient in the least so I'm not quite sure on how that would work like you're describing on the Mac.

...although a thought just occured to me. How are you putting the image in the post? You need to either use the
paste into the text of the message.

Hi Kristy,

The only thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is that perhaps you haven't uploaded the file to the internet somewhere?

I've uploaded the file to my personal webspace on my ISP's server.

How are you putting the image in the post?

I tried using both HTML and BBCode.

Using BBCode, I place...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dtamb/test.jpg

...between the image tags ---->

For some reason I'm able to view it using my Safari browser but not Internet Explorer and Netscape. I don't understand it.

Kristy, thanks for trying to help!

Well, I can see it in Firefox and IE from clicking the link. Can't say I've heard of the problem before, though. But then again, I don't have a Mac and can't really test it. Hrm.

Oooook, got another thought. I just tried it in the test forum with the img tags and it shows up as a broken image.

Does your ISP allow hotlinking?

Okay, I think I finally solved the problem. But I couldn't have done it without your help.

When you asked, "Does your ISP allow hotlinking", that started me thinking in the right direction. It turns out the problem was the webspace I was using. It's an old account which apprently is now inactive. I hadn't realized it since I'm still able to upload files.

Also, it seems that once I create a PDF file from a screenshot, I need to use Preview (similar to Acrobat) to convert it to a JPG file before embedding the image. Simply changing the extension won't do.

Anyways...thank you very much for your help in finally resolving this matter.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back