Embedding Excel Range in a Word Document - Strategic Finance Magazine July 2023

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jul 11, 2023.
Microsoft Excel Tutorial: Embedding Excel Range in Microsoft Word

How to create a live link from an Excel workbook to a Word document.
This video is to accompany the article in the July 2023 issue of Strategic Finance Magazine: https://www.sfmagazine.com/articles/2023/july/excel-embedding-a-range-in-a-word-document

Table of Contents
(0:00) Problem Statement: Excel Table in Word Document as Live Link
(0:22) Name the range to be embedded
(1:32) Save as East, Change to West
(1:45) Copy from Excel & Paste as Link in Word
(2:20) Live link between Excel and Word
(3:01) After you close Excel workbook
(3:35) Re-opening Excel
(4:10) Re-calc Word with F9
(4:40) Re-create the immediate link between Excel and Word

Buy Bill Jelen's latest Excel book: MrExcel 2022 Boosting Excel
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Many times we have a long Word document  and we need to insert a nice table that   would be better if it was an Excel table.
So here I have an example where I have some   data in Excel and I want to embed this in Word,  but create the live link, so when I update the   data on the left, the data in Word will update.
First thing we have to do is select the entire   range that we plan on pasting.
And you'll notice that there's   data outside the range and the data  inside the range, it relies on this data.  This is a filter or V stack  with a filter function here.  If I would change from east to central,  let's say, this is automatically updating.  And I'm not embedding this data in the  Word document, but it'll all still work.  It's really amazing.
So, first thing we have to do is name the range.  Select the entire range that you want  to have embedded in Word, like that.  Click here in the name box, and  we're going to type any name.  There can't be any spaces in the  name, but you can use an underscore.  So I'll just type any name here.
It doesn't really matter.  You can call this income_statement  or balance_sheet or just balsheet,   or whatever makes sense.
Now, I need to make sure that that name   gets saved, and you also have to make sure that  this workbook is saved somewhere that the Word   document's going to be able to see it.
So we click save here.  I'm also just going to note that we're going  to paste this with the west region active.  And that was done after the save.
I'm just trying to show an interesting   feature here.
All right, so at this point   now I don't have the name range selected anymore.
I want to make sure to select that name range.  So I go to the name box, open  the dropdown, and select my name.  Control C to copy.
Over to Word, if we just do a   default paste, that's a control V, there's going  to be the wrong selection made for that paste.  So we open up this little Control.
And the third item here is called   Link and keep source formatting.
By doing that, we've now set up an amazing link   between the Word document and the Excel document.
And I love the state that we're in right now,   because anything that happens in Excel  is going to immediately happen in Word.  This is amazing to me the way that this works.
For example, if I would choose the central   region, you see that the Word  document automatically updates.  If I would come over here and bold  something and change the color,   automatically happens.
I love this state, but it's very   easy to break this state.
All right.  Now, remember, when we save this  document, it was showing west.  And to test what happens, I'm going to close  the Excel file and not save it at this point,   which is really interesting because this  is showing the central region and that   green there in the background, and it's  pointing to a spot on the hard drive.  And that saved file does not  reflect the central region.  So over here, we'll do file, close.  Do I want to save changes?
I'm going to say no, don't save.  And you see that even though what's saved on  the hard drive is west, I continues to show   central here.
All right.  Now let's see if what happens  when we reopen the Excel file.  I'm going to pause the video here while  I open this and get them arranged again.  Okay, check this out.
What's saved on the hard drive is the east region,   and that word choose doesn't have the green color.
But what is, let's say cached, in the   Word document is the central  region and the green color.  I'm a little disappointed here that I've  broken this awesome link between the two.  When I change the thing on the left in  Excel, it's not changing on the right.  Now, one way that I've found to  fix this is to come here to Word,   select everything, so control A.
And then it's very interesting, it's the same   key we use in Excel to recalc, the F9 key.
And that will set up a link here,   but I think it's a one-time link.
So if I would come here and now change from east   to central, you see it's not working.
It's not the immediate reaction   that I had initially.
So here's what I found   on how to set up that immediate reaction.
We're going to keep that Excel file open   on the left-hand side, over here in  Word I'm going to save and then close,   and then in Word, reopen.  And it says that there's links that  may to refer to files, and we say yes.  And now it's back to the perfect state  where if I change something on the left,   it will instantly change on the right.
So, I know when you're building your   annual report, or your quarterly report, or  just trying to build some Excel, you may not   need this immediate reaction to work.
You might just set it up once and   not make any changes to Excel.
But I love how this does work,   and it's important to understand how we can get  it back into this immediate changing of the Word   document in response to the Excel document.
All right, thanks for watching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KunalGandhi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back