Email Responses to Watched Threads

igold

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
A few times now, when I watch/post to a thread, I do not receive an email notification when a MrExcel Moderator provides a solution to that thread. It has happened with @Joe4 and @Peter_SSs. Why would that be, I have not changed any settings that would block any responses. It does not seem to make sense. I do not think that it happens with @Fluff, but I have not scrutinized it that closely.

Does it happen with all threads that you are watching and that Joe or I reply to?
If so, click your user name at the top right and choose 'Ignoring' just in case you have hovered over our user name somewhere and accidentally (or deliberately ;)) clicked this button.

1659309191605.png

I will check that, but it has only happened with you two guys. And I just got this post and the post from about 10 minutes ago regarding tables, but I did not get any of your previous posts on that thread.

If you revisit a question before the notification email is sent then that notification email is cancelled before it is sent. It is possible, and happens to me all the time.

Did you receive an email notification for this reply I sent?

Yes, I did receive a notification. That is a thought, however in the case of Peter_SSs, we are like fourteen hours apart in Time Zones, so while he is answering questions, I am snoozing.

Yes, I did receive a notification. That is a thought, however in the case of Peter_SSs, we are like fourteen hours apart in Time Zones, so while he is answering questions, I am snoozing.
You didn't unwatch the thread, you didn't ignore the members. In this case, another reason I can think of is that sometimes an email client or even an email server might be thinking it is a junk email. Rarely, but it happens. I can't explain why it is only from @Peter_SSs and @Joe4, but it is certainly not related to being a moderator since you received notification for my reply.

Ok, one more, if you have the thread page opened in your browser, even you are not at the computer at that time, the forum software still knows that you are watching that particular thread and might be excluding you from the notification recipient list.

And the last one, is actually a much better explanation than all above - You will receive only one email notification from a thread until you visit the thread. Is there a chance that both Peter and Joe might have sent a reply right after someone else replied to but before you read the thread?

1659377899030.png

I appreciate you taking the time to explore all possibilities of what may be occurring. It has been a while since it happened with Joe, but clearly Peter had two posts to a thread I was watching while I was sleeping and my computer was turned off and I did not receive notification of the first post. It may be happening with other threads and perhaps I am only noticing it with Joe and Peter because of their status as Moderators. In any event, in my eight years on the site, I have only unwatched one or two threads, and I have never chosen to "Ignore" another member. I rarely watch a thread that I have not posted to. I will try to pay closer attention to see if it continues to happen.

Thanks again for your time!

Edit: Upon closer scrutiny, the case may be that the OP had replied and then Peter. This may in fact be my faux pas. If that is the case, I apologize for wasting your time as I am sure you are very busy.

Last edited:
I appreciate you taking the time to explore all possibilities of what may be occurring. It has been a while since it happened with Joe, but clearly Peter had two posts to a thread I was watching while I was sleeping and my computer was turned off and I did not receive notification of the first post. It may be happening with other threads and perhaps I am only noticing it with Joe and Peter because of their status as Moderators. In any event, in my eight years on the site, I have only unwatched one or two threads, and I have never chosen to "Ignore" another member. I rarely watch a thread that I have not posted to. I will try to pay closer attention to see if it continues to happen.

Thanks again for your time!

Edit: Upon closer scrutiny, the case may be that the OP had replied and then Peter. This may in fact be my faux pas. If that is the case, I apologize for wasting your time as I am sure you are very busy.
It is my pleasure. Absolutely no problem and certainly no need to apologize. On the contrary, thank you for bringing this up, and testing it with us, so we were (hopefully) able to solve another mystery! Not a mystery comparable to the ones you solved on the board about Excel and VBA but still a potential help to future board members :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KunalGandhi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back