Editing Form Consisting of Multiple Tables

kwhite100

Board Regular
Hello All,

I have spent a lot of time on normalizing data structures and I have properly created several tables in access with the data that I am attempting to normalize. I would like to create a form that pulls in the related fields between two tables that are properly related, and allows the user to edit the field values, or add new records based on the fields in the form.

I started by creating a form based on one table, then went into design view, hit alt+F8, and added the field I would like to see in the form. When I navigate through the recordsource, I see the correct values, and am able to edit the existing fields. When I attempt to add a new record, I can't type in a value for the field from the second table. I get an error saying 'join key of table not in recordset'. When I toggle and go to the previous record, I can come back and type in the desired value without error. My question is, is there a way around this to make it more user friendly and allow the user to enter the value without getting an error? As mentioned, I have to go to previous record and come back before I add the value to the field. Do I have to create an event when the user enters this textbox?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I found that I just needed to write some data to the underlying table before typing data to that field. I figured it out.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back