Editing data in a table - any 'batch' way of doing so?

rexnervous

I have several thousand rows of (text) data that have some incorrect pieces. I need a way to delete part of the data but leave the rest intact.

Example:

Current data: "Bloomfield, CT"

Needs to become: Bloomfield

In other words, I need to remove the left quote, and everything after (including) the comma.

I would think this would be some kind of (relatively) simple query, but I can't figure it out.

Help?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I should add that I know how to pull the particular rows I want out ([Criteria = Like '*,*'] for instance), but I'm not sure how to tell Access to delete the comma and everything after, and then update the rows with the new, fixed data.

Upvote 0
In the example, I would use the Edit -> Replace Command on the column like:
Replace - ,*
With - nothing

If you want the right quote removed as well, then use
Replace - "
With - nothing

All of your data may not fit that neatly, but you can be creative with the Replace utility, especially when you use a wildcard with it.

Another option to update a lot of Access data is an Update Query, but Text doesn't usually work well in an Update.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks. That worked great. I was looking for something a little more...elegant, I think - trying to teach myself SQL using Access somewhat, so was thinking along the lines of a query - but your solution was simple and worked :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Yes, Access can easily accomplish what you ask, but if this was a one time conversion, why not use the Replace feature?

What you're looking for is this: (this is the LONG explanation)

UPDATE tblName SET fldOne=how_to_manipulate WHERE (how to id the proper entries)

What 'how_to_manipulate' looks like depends on what exactly you need to do, but it would be a combination of use of the Len/InStr/Left/Right/Mid functions.

Len([fieldname]) returns length of field contents
InStr([fieldname],[charstring_to_match]) returns position of first character of possibly a multi character string

Left([fieldname],x) returns x characters starting from left
Right (does same from right)
Mid([fieldname],x,y) returns y characters starting at position x

So...assuming that ALL fields have the same pattern - all have quotes and all have a comma.

Mid([fld],2,InStr([fld],',')-2)
--
Final answer:

Code:
UPDATE tblName SET [fld]=Mid([fld],2,InStr([fld],',')-2)  WHERE [fld] LIKE '"*, *"'

fld=field to read and change the value on
tblName=name of table
WHERE=that's up to you

Yes, you can get much more complex than this. Yes you can remove the [] brackets if your fieldname does not include spaces (but brackets always work)

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziMacca

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back