Editing an existing TXT file w/Macro

cstimart

I'm running in to an issue that has me perplexed.

I have an Access 2007 db that has a table that's populated from a TXT file and all works as needed.

However, as new part of the process, I added a portion of code to "strip out" some sensitive data from the TXT file and save it in another location, in case it's needed in the future.

It runs fine, but when I would try to import from the new/revised file, the import bombs. In viewing the import process in Access, some of the rows are being shown has having a leading double quote character....and I don't know why. I've opened the TXT file and all the cells in Column A are formatted as "general". I've compared the original and the new TXT files, and they look identical, except for the characters that I replaced with spaces.

Any ideas?

This import is only an issue for any back up purposes, as the original import is OK, as I "skip" the designated character range in the import process.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
"I've opened the TXT file and all the cells in Column A are formatted as "general"."

open it in a text editor, not excel

if notepad won't work try notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Upvote 0
OK...I've reviewed the TXT file with notepad and see that some of there are quotes now included in the various rows.

So, in my code, I've tried to "replace" the quotes without any luck....any ideas?

Code:
Cells(i, "A") = Replace(Cells(i, "A"), Chr(34), vbNullString)

Upvote 0
I wouldn't advise trying to edit text files with Excel. It's not a text editor and will do things "automatically" that you may not want done.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't advise trying to edit text files with Excel. It's not a text editor and will do things "automatically" that you may not want done.

So I can dump the Excel Reference? Is there a different reference and code that I could use rather than...

Code:
Set xlApp = New Excel.Application

With xlApp
    .Workbooks.Open "X:\TESTFILE.TXT"
        LR = Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
        For i = 1 To LR
                With .Cells(i, "A")
                    .Value = .Replace(.Value, Mid(.Value, 555, 9), "         ")
                    .Value.NumberFormat = "General"
                    .Value = .Replace(.Value, Chr(34), vbNullString)
                End With
        Next i
'Save TXT File
    With .ActiveWorkbook
        .SaveAs "X:\TESTFILE.TXT"
        .Close
    End With
End With
If Not xlApp Is Nothing Then Set xlApp = Nothing

Upvote 0
I didn't realize you had this scripted. But you could for instance just use ordinary text file reading and writing methods, combined with your typical string functions and/or regex.

You could also import the data as is, and do the cleanup in Access. Which introduces a little bit of danger of the routine being intercepted. But you've already got that weakness - the data is also vulnerable there in Excel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't realize you had this scripted. But you could for instance just use ordinary text file reading and writing methods, combined with your typical string functions and/or regex.

You could also import the data as is, and do the cleanup in Access. Which introduces a little bit of danger of the routine being intercepted. But you've already got that weakness - the data is also vulnerable there in Excel.

OK...thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back