Editable Field on an Access Form

Jwnagz94

So the situation is that i have a form with multiple fields. I have a specific field called comments that i would like to be editable by anyone who accesses the form. Is there a way where that is possible. Thank you In advance for your help!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
If the form uses an editable data source (table or query), then any editable field from that table or query should also be editable on the Form itself, unless you have explicitly set options on that Form to make it editable.
If you have not done this, then I suspect the issue is that the field itself if not editable in the underlying data source (which you should be able to confirm pretty easily).

So, where is the data coming from?

Upvote 0
So i have my data in my form coming off a single table. The data in the form however is populated based on a single combo box query and it just takes that information to populate the rest of the fields. I was looking for something that allows me to edit that specific field but not the others.

Upvote 0
I am not 100% clear on the structure of this form. Is it a record selection form?
Is the underlying table field a lookup field?
Please provide as much specific detail as you can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I apologize for the late reply. This is the situation.

I have a database with Client information dictating the rest of the fields on the form.

So the way the form is set up is that I have 1 Combo box that searches for the client ID. The rest of the fields are Pulled from that combobox with =[Combobox].[column][x]as bounded to the column

I have one specific field called Client notes where i hope to store notes on the client. My question is, with my current format is there a way for me to be able to edit Client notes and have that reflect in the database. Thank you for you help!

Upvote 0
Sounds like you are using an UNBOUND Form to look-up Clients (not the was I would have done it). If this is so you are going to need to go the extra step and write and UPDATE query to update the Notes every time a change is made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was looking for something that allows me to edit that specific field but not the others
To me, this means poster wants all fields to be locked except for one. in that case, design the form with all other controls locked except for one. If those controls need to be editable some times but not others, a solution would be to use an opening argument for the form so that code knows which mode was desired, then cycle through the controls and either lock or unlock accordingly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back