Edit Database Path in an Installed .exe

JNICHOLS

I have a program that i wish to edit where the database is located. The purpose of this is to be able to install the software on multiple computers and share the same database. Possible?

Thanks in Advance
John Nichols

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Assuming you're talking about an Access mdb and not an EXE (here)

First, store the path as a record/field in a table

Have the form that opens during startup look for the presence (vba) of a specific file on a common shared drive. If it finds it, it can read the file or go elsewhere for specific instructions on what actions to take (update)

Even with an Access mdb, this could be just about anything.

Upvote 0
JNICHOLS said:
so what you saying is like a redirect in the database correct?

No - not a redirect.

What I am suggesting is this. On the startup forms' load event, insert code that goes out to a specific file location and looks for the existence of a file. If it finds it, go into another routine that:

1) Opens up a specific mdb file.
2) Opens a specific table and looks at the first record which might have something like "ChangeDefaultmdb" in the first field.
3) Read the contents of the second field
4) Write that field value into the clients' mdb file

You could use this for all sorts of changes, although it's easiest if you're changing values in tables, not attempting to re-write VBA modules via Code. All depends on what you anticipate and how universal you make your functions.
-
In hindsight, I'm not sure you asked the question I thought you asked. I thought you may have had software installed on multiple machines and the backend database location had changed and you wanted to change that location in their files via code.

Suddenly I got the feeling that all you really asked is can you share a database file amonst multiple users.

Yes, Absolutely yes you can. Access has published specs that suggest it can handle quite a number of simultaneous users (40+). From what I've read (not done - might be important distinction), it may start to have speed problems with as few as a half dozen simultaneous users.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back