eBay halts auction of Excel flaw

Smitty

Legend
Some people will do just about anything...
An online auction of a "brand new vulnerability" in Microsoft Excel had reached about $60 when eBay pulled the item late Thursday.

A seller using the name "fearwall" started the auction Wednesday evening at $0.01. It was up to $56 on Thursday afternoon with 21 bids placed, and eBay squashed the auction soon after that.

The online auctioneer removed the item because it contravened its guidelines, eBay spokeswoman Catherine England said Friday. "The listing was pulled for violating our policy against encouraging illegal activity," she said in an e-mailed statement.

Microsoft is aware of the reported flaw and has been working with eBay on the matter, a company representative said in a statement. "This possible vulnerability was being auctioned on eBay, but has now been removed," the representative said.

According to the description of the item on eBay, the vulnerability was discovered on Dec. 6 and all the details were submitted to Microsoft. The flaw lies in the way Excel validates data when handling documents and exploiting it will compromise a user's PC, according to the now-removed eBay post.

Microsoft is not aware of any attacks that attempt to use the reported vulnerability, the software maker said. The company will continue to investigate the issue and may provide a fix as part of its monthly patching process or issue a security advisory, the Microsoft representative said.

The eBay seller even had a special offer for Microsoft employees: a 10 percent discount. "To qualify, you MUST provide @microsoft.com e-mail address and MUST mention discount code LINUXRULZ during checkout," the now-removed post said.
Smitty

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
hmm... that raises a lot of questions
a) who would sell such a thing
b) who would be stupid enoughto part with money for something that has a shelf life of under two minutes
c)why did ebay let it get so far
D) why has ebay not passed on the potential bidders ip addy and names as they are engaing in bidding for something illegal
e) what use was the product being sold
f) where the Hell did i put my glasses {hence the bad typing}

whiteghost said:
hmm... that raises a lot of questions
D) why has ebay not passed on the potential bidders ip addy and names as they are engaing in bidding for something illegal

I'm sure they have...without advertising it.

whiteghost said:
why has ebay not passed on the potential bidders ip addy and names as they are engaing in bidding for something illegal
I would think in cases like this it might be benificial to actually advertise the name & IP addy of these folks. :twisted:

Whiteghost, (not to change the subject but) what I'd really like to know is what the hell were you doing to your cat while his picture was being taken! :laugh:

Altough the mention code LINUXRULEZ was a particularly funny touch. I doubt they were actually trying to get away with anything, they probably just did it to be funny. And it WAS funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onkey

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back