Dynamically referencing previous sheet with VBA vlookup function

JRedRocker

I am brand new to VBA. Just started recording macros and trying to modify them to work for my purposes.

I am trying to get the following code to reference the previous sheet dynamically rather than the sheet I selected when recording the macro (Oct 31) then autofilling to the end of the data.

LastRow = Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Range("U2:U" & LastRow).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-16],'Oct 31'!C[-16]:C[1],17,FALSE)"

I found another thread that said to use activesheet.previous.select but I can't seem to replace 'Oct 31' with that code to make it work.

Suggestions please?:eeek:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Try something like this...

Range("U2:U" & LastRow).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-16],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!C[-16]:C[1],17,FALSE)"

Upvote 0
Hi I am also facing this kind of issue, wherein i applied the above formula but its giving me Run time Error "1004" - "Method 'Range' of Object_Global failed"

please help.

Did you calculate the last row?

Code:
[B]LastRow = Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row[/B]
Range("U2:U" & [B]LastRow[/B]).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-16],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!C[-16]:C[1],17,FALSE)"

Upvote 0
Did you calculate the last row?

Code:
[B]LastRow = Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row[/B]
Range("U2:U" & [B]LastRow[/B]).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-16],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!C[-16]:C[1],17,FALSE)"

Oh yes, i forgot to do that. now its working.

Thanks a lot " AlphaFrog" and everyone who participated in this forum

Upvote 0
it doesn't work in the below formula
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
"=IF(ISNA(IF(VLOOKUP(R[2]C[3],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "' !R2C10:R1000C12,3,FALSE)=R[2]C[5],"""",VLOOKUP(R[2]C[3],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!R2C10:R1000C12,3,FALSE))),""New"",IF(VLOOKUP(R[2]C[3],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!R2C10:R1000C12,3,FALSE)=R[2]C[5],"""",VLOOKUP(R[2]C[3],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!R2C10:R1000C12,3,FALSE)))"

the actual formula is

=IF(ISNA(IF(VLOOKUP(J3,'Oct-17'!$J$2:$L$1000,3,FALSE)=L3,"",VLOOKUP(J3,'Oct-17'!$J$2:$L$1000,3,FALSE))),"New",IF(VLOOKUP(J3,'Oct-17'!$J$2:$L$1000,3,FALSE)=L3,"",VLOOKUP(J3,'Oct-17'!$J$2:$L$1000,3,FALSE)))

where the 'oct-17 ' refers to the previous sheet

Please help me in making this work

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I've been trying to VBA Vlookup back to the previous worksheet and found this thread very useful.
After some trial and error I managed to change the formula to suit my information and eventually ended up with data in the requested column, now I think I have the formula correct but it now returns #Ref ??? So there is obviously something wrong but I cant see what it is.

The data I am trying to reference is column B, and return the data from column C, I have headings on the reference sheet in B2 and the data starts from B3, could this be causing the issue?

Range("C2:C" & LastRow).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-1],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!C[-1]:C[-1],2,FALSE)"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I've been trying to VBA Vlookup back to the previous worksheet and found this thread very useful.
After some trial and error I managed to change the formula to suit my information and eventually ended up with data in the requested column, now I think I have the formula correct but it now returns #Ref ??? So there is obviously something wrong but I cant see what it is.

The data I am trying to reference is column B, and return the data from column C, I have headings on the reference sheet in B2 and the data starts from B3, could this be causing the issue?

Range("C2:C" & LastRow).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-1],'" & ActiveSheet.Previous.Name & "'!C[-1]:C[-1],2,FALSE)"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After correcting C[-1]:C[-1] to C[-1]:C[-5] I now understand where I went wrong.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back