Dynamic lookup value requires correct syntax

guilhermelemos

Hi,

I am trying to create a lookup that will get the parts with the highest chance of being used depending on the location.

I figured out the formula in Excel, but I needed to convert into VBA. I used the recorder, but I need to add a variable to the formula, so the lookup value of my formula is correct.

I am getting the following error.

Run-time error '1004'
Application-defined or object-defined error

I think it's because the syntax of my formula is not correct when I reference the variable i.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Sub Additional_Parts_Small_Locations()
Dim strRng As String

Dim i As Integer
i = 2
Windows("FSL quantity template attempt2.xlsm").Activate
Sheets("Locations").Select
Sheets("Locations").Calculate
Range("A2").Select
Do While i < 43
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2) < 10 Then
Sheets("Summary").Select
Range("A600000").End(xlUp).Select
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
"=INDEX(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,1,,,""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")&"":""&ADDRESS(20000,MATCH(Locations!RiC1 ,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R1C1:R1C42,0))),MATCH(1,INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(Locations!RiC1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R" & _
"2,0),,,""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")&"":""&ADDRESS(20000,Locations!RiC1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R1C1:R1C42,0))),0),1)"
End If

i = i + 1
Loop

End Sub

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Concatenate the variable into the formula string with something like this...

Locations!R" & i & "C1

Upvote 0
Sub Additional_Parts_Small_Locations()
Dim strRng As String
Dim i As Integer
i = 2
Windows("FSL quantity template attempt2.xlsm").Activate
Sheets("Locations").Select
Sheets("Locations").Calculate
Range("A2").Select
Do While i < 43
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2) < 10 Then
Sheets("Summary").Select
Range("A600000").End(xlUp).Select
"=INDEX(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,1,,,""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")&"":""&ADDRESS(20000,MATCH(Locations!R" & i & "C1 ,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R1C1:R1C42,0))),MATCH(1,INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(Locations!R" & i & "C1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R" & _
"2,0),,,""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")&"":""&ADDRESS(20000,Locations!R" & i & "C1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R1C1:R1C42,0))),0),1)"
End If

i = i + 1
Loop

End Sub

Upvote 0
Can you show me what this formula would look like in a cell, I'm sure it has something to do with where you have quotes and ampersands etc., but with all the [ ' : I don't know what it should look like in a cell.
I need to see where the quotes are in the actual formula as it would appear in a cell without extra quotes and ampersands.

I had a problem like this years ago with code in Access and it took me a while of moving quotes and ampersands and what not before I figured it out. I'd be glad to mess with it for you.

Upvote 0
I think this...
""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")

Should be this...
'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!)

Check that syntax for each instance.

Upvote 0
It gets a syntax / compile error.

The formula that works on a cell looks like this:

=INDEX(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,1,,,"[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location")&":"&ADDRESS(20000,MATCH(Locations!A35,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!$A$1:$AP$1,0))),MATCH(1,INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(Locations!A35,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!$1:$1,0),,,"[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location")&":"&ADDRESS(20000,MATCH(Locations!A35,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!$A$1:$AP$1,0))),0),1)

Thanks

Upvote 0
It looks like the formula in the VBA code is missing a MATCH and referencing row 2 instead of row 1 as in the reference formula.

"=INDEX(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,1,,,""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")&"":""&ADDRESS(20000,MATCH(Locations!R" & i & "C1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!$A$1:$AP$1,0))),MATCH(1,INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(Locations!R" & i & "C1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!R1,0),,,""[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location"")&"":""&ADDRESS(20000,MATCH(Locations!R" & i & "C1,'[Printers vs parts consumption_roundup.xlsx]Parts ranking per location'!$A$1:$AP$1,0))),0),1)"

Upvote 0
It brings me back to error 1004.

Maybe I should simplify my formula.

Is there a way I have range, say A1:AP10000 and then I just pick the cell in the intersection of a column and a row? Is that the offset function?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back