Dynamic Form (variable number of fields)

MakinBacon91

Hello All,

I am having trouble with creating a form for inputting dimensional data.
I am trying to build a form that a user can input the Serial# (SN), and the form will display all of the relevant dimensions to that Serial#, and allow the user to enter values for each dimension.

The Serial# they input will link to a PartType, and the PartType will link to all of the dimensions that are required.
One part type may have 12 dimensions that need to be taken, and another may have 30.

Basically from the tables below, I want the user to select a SN (gives the PartTypeID) and I need to add a new entry to the Dimensions table for every dimension of that PartType in the DimensionList table to the

DimIDPartTypeIDDimNameDimDescriptionDimMaxDimMinDimNom
210AOutlet ID18.001818.00
310EInlet ID14.001414.00
410F1Height2.021.982.00
510GWidth14.6514.5714.61
610KThickness17.001516.00
710LDepth75.007274.00
82AHeight12.001112.00
92BDepth23.002424.00

<caption> DimensionList </caption><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody><tfoot></tfoot>

DataIDSNIDDimIDDimensionPassFail
4336519Fail

<caption> Dimensions </caption><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody><tfoot></tfoot>

I hope this is a decent explanation, but of course let me know if I can explain anything more fully!

Thanks!
-Bacon-

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
What do you guys think about creating a temporary table, then use vba to copy the values from that temporary table into the Dimensions table.

Upvote 0
Had a look, but not crystal clear to me. I can't see the rest of your Job info fields, so I'm not sure - but I suspect theres too much in there. I'm thinking the JobInfo is stuff like job number, who created, when, is responsible, etc. and a JobLineItem is where the serial/part identifiers would go. I also think you'll have issues with your many to one to many relationship between Job-Engine-Dimension relationship. Anyway, as for your question, I'm thinking your main form should have the job header info and a subform datasheet below to input the measurements against the number of dimensions that appear in the list for a given serial.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back