Duplicate Tables

itsgrady

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a table on one spreadsheet that I would like to make an exact copy to other spreadsheets. If I make changes on the main spreadsheet it would make updates on the copies.

I have three categories. Small, Medium, and Large stored in the B column on the main spreadsheet. My boss would like to have the main spreadsheet with all three categories and a separate spreadsheet for each of the three categories. This is completely against my suggestion to him. I showed him how you get to the data from one spreadsheet, but he still would like to have them separated.

To cut down on data entry, I would like to only update the main spreadsheet. In needs to be in a table formate that can be sorted on each spreadsheet.

Spreadsheets:
Small
Medium
Large
Main

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
As you are using tables I'd use power query (get and transform), you can filter the information and sort it in the one query easily

Upvote 0
Two options:
1) The filter function. =FILTER(). This would allow you to filter by Small, Medium, and Large on each of the respective tabs. Any change made on the main table would automatically update on each of the tabs. The downside to this is that it creates an array formula where the output cannot be edited without cutting and pasting as values.

2) PowerQuery. Get & Transform Data on the data ribbon. You can easily filter into three seperate tables and load them onto their respective spreadsheets. The downside to this is that you become dependent on the Refresh All button in the data ribbon. You could also have the table join to itself where any changes that are made on the small medium and large tabs are reflected in the main table. This depends on where you want the changes to be made.

Upvote 1
Solution
Two options:
1) The filter function. =FILTER(). This would allow you to filter by Small, Medium, and Large on each of the respective tabs. Any change made on the main table would automatically update on each of the tabs. The downside to this is that it creates an array formula where the output cannot be edited without cutting and pasting as values.

2) PowerQuery. Get & Transform Data on the data ribbon. You can easily filter into three seperate tables and load them onto their respective spreadsheets. The downside to this is that you become dependent on the Refresh All button in the data ribbon. You could also have the table join to itself where any changes that are made on the small medium and large tabs are reflected in the main table. This depends on where you want the changes to be made.

Two options:

Thanks for the help. Appreciate the good information. I think I will try the filter formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back