Duplicate name in vlookups with multiple resutls

sherexcel

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so hoping I post this question correctly and not redundant. I have a sheet where in Column A are names of clients and Column B is the company name the client works for. I get weekly commission reports where the vendors sent me the clients who used their service. My job is to find out which company used the service (Column B) given the clients name (Column A) provided by the vendors. A vlookup chart has worked well until I ran into the issue of a duplicate in the clients name. For example, below is an example chart. There is a John Smith who works for ABC Inc and also another John Smith who works for XYZ LLC. When I do a vlookup, Excel comes back with only the first match (in this case John Smith who works for ABC Inc). Is there an easy formula I can use to somehow get 2 results of ABC Inc and XYZ LLC? Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Client NameCompany
John SmithABC Inc
John SmithXYZ LLC
John SmithABC Inc
=VLOOKUP(A6,A2:B3,2,FALSE) formula used

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi and welcome to MrExcel,

You've posted a clear question but to answer your question we need to know if the name of the company is also provided in the weekly commission reports. If not and it's just the Client Name, it's impossible to solve. If Client Company is also in both of the files, it can be solved.

Upvote 0
Try:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$B$3,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$3=$A$6,ROW($A$1:$A$3),""),ROWS($A$1:A1))),"Record not found")
Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Copy Down for 2nd match, 3rd match, etc...

Modified so that it works regardless of the starting position of your data:
=IFERROR(INDEX($B$5:$B$7,SMALL(IF($A$5:$A$7=$A$10,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA($A$5:$A$7))),""),ROWS($A$5:A5))),"Record not found")
Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Copy Down for 2nd match, 3rd match, etc...

Hi everyone,

Is there an easy formula I can use to somehow get 2 results of ABC Inc and XYZ LLC? Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Client NameCompany
John SmithABC Inc
John SmithXYZ LLC
John SmithABC Inc
=VLOOKUP(A6,A2:B3,2,FALSE) formula used

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back